Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

FS2004 Experiment: FS98 or FS2000 Dynamic Scenery BGL's?

Guest flightsimstudios

Anyone know what the BGL names and locations were for the old FS2000 or FS98 BGL's?I'm hoping to experiment with some of these old BGL files to see if I can call some FS2004 GUID's and regain some of the old animated boats and airport ground vehicles.Also does anyone know of the old GUID codes for the FS98 or FS2000 dynamic sceneryd default objects? I'm wondering if they are using the same GUID codes as in FS2004.Also I'm curious as to whether or not any default aircraft in FS2004 have GUID codes.Any help would be both fun and appreciated... ;)

Guest luissa

Hi,The following is from SCASM docs (www.scasm.de)The ID's are 32 bit hex numbers. These are used to specify the library file and the wanted object in this fileThe following ID's are used in FS98 DYNLIB.BGL:id0 00C2CdA9 for FS98 DYNLIB.BGL id1 A9E100AA for FS98 DYNLIB.BGL id2 596711D0 for FS98 DYNLIB.BGL id3 ... B1A18300 Cessna B1A18301 Lear45 B1A18305 Helicopter, color parts 0 ... 7 B1A18307 G_Truck 1 (gas truck) B1A18308 G_Truck 2, color parts 0 .. 7 ------ end of SCASM citation ----These IDs still work in FS2004 as far as I know. I found the small and very simple dynamic sail boat in one of my dynamic macros. Here it is:CallDLibObj( :SAIL 3 %1 00C2CDA9 A9E100AA 596711D0 B1A18306 )Regards, Luis

Guest flightsimstudios

Thanks, any idea which scenery bgl's though actually contain the dynamic tracks (i.e. not the objects?)I'm hoping to just port the dynamic motion paths into FS2004 and see how they go, just out of curiosity. I'd like to try and get some ground vehicles moving again in the sim...I looked at FS2000 last night and noticed that the dynamic scenery had been smoothed out very significantly since FS98. FS98 the motion paths were kind of jerky... The interpolation in FS2000 was much nicer and seemed to be as smooth as AI aircraft movements.I'll be calling the FS2004 objects, but for simplicity sake I'm hoping to just grab the BGL and reassign codes and see how the animated paths look in FS2004 before I try and record any of my own paths...The above information should help though... But further information about specific BGL files that contain the animation paths for the dynamic objects would be very cool.Now if I could only decompile my FDIII carrier, I could have a moving carrier to land the Tomcat on ;)I'm also wondering if there's a way to port the CFS2 AI ship DLL's to FS2004, and if there's a way to port the weapons and combat systems DLL's to FS2004.That would be really cool... To have a more realistic world in FS2004, where you can shoot weapons... I'm still dreaming a day they might *hope hope* merge the two technologies...I'm surprised the MS guys haven't come up with an Aircraft Carrier, F-14 US Navy based flight sim. They'd sell more copies of that than CFS I'm sure.I also dream of the day that space is modelled in Flight Sim, where you can achieve orbit. Maybe one day, but now I'm getting off topic.

Guest flightsimstudios

Okay I just used FS Action scenery to track these down...In both FS98 and FS2000 the dynamic paths are in the files:Chicago5.bglDallas5.bglDenver5.bglKanci5.bglLosAng5.bglMiami5.bglNewOr5.bglNewYork5.bglSaltLk5.bglSeaTac5.bglSF5.bglStLouis5.bglThe Library is:dynlib.bgl (pretty common knowledge)I'll do some more experimentation, and see what happens in FS2004...

Guest flightsimstudios

YES!!!I just dropped all the FS2000 dynamic scenery libraries and sceneries into FS2004, and they worked immediately...All the aircraft and ground objects are FS98 defaults (if I remember right), but they all show up and they all animate... Only thing is the yachts are about 10-20 feet in the air...The animations are liquid smooth.This discovery after about 5 years of simming is probably an oldie but a goodie, and its like opening up a while new world to flight sim again...Many people have wanted animated aircraft carriers, this is possible, many people have wanted flying birds without relying on the AI engine, this is possible, many people have wanted moving ships that are not AI, this is possible.It's kinda funny how a gem of an old flight sim scenery engine that dates back to the days of FS4 can inject new life into FS2004...If anyone is interested: Buy the downloadable old FS Action Scenery for FS98/2000 from abacuspub.com and install it. Download the FSASM recorder for FS9.0 or FS8 if you're running FS2002, and record a flightpath/track you want the object to follow...Generate your objects in GMAX as a scenery object, there's tools around to make them into libary objects with GUID codes. Use these to creata a dynamic scenery library (even a RWY library object can be called with this), and add the GUID code to an assignment in FS Action scenery. Oh and don't forget to import your FSASM track/flightpath into FS Action Scenery and compile the BGL...It's a very simple way of getting non-AI based animations into the sim... I can't believe a long forgotten technology has been forgotten in the FS world.Here's what you can do with FS Action Scenery...1. You can record an aircraft/vehicle path for a long period of time, like 1 hour or more and you can loop the object's path indefinitely.2. You can get the various dynamic objects to interact with each other, so one will 'awaken' when another hits a certain point in the animation path. You could potentially make moving aerobridges with this...3. You can call any 'free range' (i.e. not geocached) FS2004 library object and make it move in the scenery... You could make the Lincoln Aviator move around. You could make the ships move...4. Anything else your mind could imagineI'm posting this in the hopes of keeping the dynamic scenery engine alive for FS2006. If anyone from the MSFS team is lurking, please keep the dynamic scenery engine... I have some new ideas for scenery design in FS and it involves the use of dynamic scenery.The technique I am thinking of would create a revolution in the scenery engine in FS... I can't give anything away, but I can tell you it won't be herd that it's a cow of a project ;) I guess I'm just horsing around, just for effects. I'm a little animated tonight over this idea. It sure won't be a white elephant I can tell you!

Hello,have a look at the MS Scenery SDK 2000/2002 document - it contains a part about Dynamic Sceneries with all necessary information including the GUIDs of the provided default library objects.Alternativly you could have a look at my 'Dynamic Scenery Design notes' (dynsctut.zip in the Avsim library), which condensed this information a little bit and provides bgl macros and some working code samples.However, in times of FS2002 I was not satisfied by the smoothness of the dynamic movement: Objects sometimes stopped short in mid-air, when reaching a new leg of the course and orienting the objects into the correct direction was not always easy (if I remember correctly: they always turn clockwise or so...). Maybe it depended on the density of the scenery and the power of the computer.On the other hand, it is pretty impressive, what could be done at this time (conditional courses, when the the path is blocked, start of movements, when objects get closer etc...).Well, the code is 16bit and the question remains, how long will MS support Windows 3.11 compatible stuff.Best regards,Edgar

Guest flightsimstudios

Thanks for the heads up about the SDK's... I'll go grab them tomorrow...I guess my hope is that the MSFS team will continue to develop the dynamic scenery engine if enough people make use of it... Problem is, no one has been making use of it, but I've got a concept that will help create a huge paradigm shift in FS that I am sure the MSFS team would generate new code to further expand what is already possible within the sim...My only concern is if they kill off the dynamic scenery engine and don't build a replacement for the next version of FS...Orientation was never an issue for me, and I've been looking at the paths, for what I'm planning on using it for, any lag in a turn would barely be noticible, and all objects would be on the ground.I suspect that the issue you had above was due to dynamic scenery boundary conflicts, but that is just an uneducated guess...All I can say is that if I can get a qualified person on board with me you should see a paradigm shift in the FS world soon... What I have planned will change FS forever, and that's not just a wild claim... The moment you see the final product your jaw will drop open..Back to dynamic scenery, I'm not sure I follow with the clockwise turns but I've never experienced that, it all pertains to the data relating to the objects orientation... It can be hand coded and smoothed out... All I can say is in FS2004 with a P4 2.4 GHz computer the dynamic scenery was like liquid...More news to come, hopefully sooner rather than later...

Guest flightsimstudios

I tried using the old FS Action Scenery with the FSASM recorder and got all my tracks and generated the BGL...I went in to fire up Flight Sim and the dynamic scenery doesn't show up... The default stuff does, but the FSA generated stuff doesn't.I tried with the default Cessna Codes as well as creating BGL's calling FS2004 GUID objects....Any clues?

FSDyn and DKHanger still work fine for FS9 (and they're free). The only problem is that one must record the paths in FS2002 and the models must be FS2000 or earlier. I've had a Hawk, Canberra, Nimrod and even a Concord as dynamic scenery in FS9.George

Guest flightsimstudios

Thanks George but some people have actually got FS Action Scenery working, and you can record tracks in FS2004 with it... I'll have to track down my other thread...

Guest cwright

>Alternativly you could have a look at my 'Dynamic Scenery>Design notes' (dynsctut.zip in the Avsim library), which>condensed this information a little bit and provides bgl>macros and some working code samples.Edgar, This was very useful, as previously I knew virtually nothing about creating animated objects. Many thanks. However, I created dyn_eddi.asm, compiled it and placed the bgl file in addon sceneryscenery, but nothing showed up. Should this work in FS2004? Best regards, Chris

> However, I created dyn_eddi.asm, compiled it and placed the>bgl file in addon sceneryscenery, but nothing showed up.>Should this work in FS2004?Hello Chris,I did a quick check and it worked in my FS2004. I used an extra directory, but this should make no difference.Stupid question, but did you enabled dynamic sceneries in the FS? (Options->display->scenery : Addon dynamic scenery)Otherwise you could try to decompile the bgl file with BGLAnalyze to see, if the bgl file is valid. But then the compilation should fail in the first place...Best regards,Edgar

Guest flightsimstudios

Anyone interested in getting back to the FS Action Scenery problem I've been trying to solve with the GUID calls not showing up in the sim?

I just did.FS2004 library objects will not show as dynamic scenery because they are not dynamic-scenery-library-objects... they are FS2004 static objects.FS2002 library objects will not show, because they are FS2002 static objects.You can create objects as Gmaxed FS2002 static objects, and then alter their ASM code to create dynamic-scenery-library-objects.Alternately, you can use FSREGEN to create a dynamic-scenery-library-object from Gmaxed FS2002 static objects.I'm not sure about FSDS-designed FSS2002 static objects, but I'm sure there is a ( relatively ) simple way to alter the SCASM code to create a dynamic-scenery-object-library from them as well.Dick