Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy Parton

Photo Scenery Texture Question.

Guest Andy Parton

I have another beginner type question about photo terrain in Flight Simulator. I hope someone can help me please :-I have created my photo scenery from a few large images, and all seems to be working well. They line up perfectly with the standard scenery, so no problems there.I had 3 large images that I created the scenery from, which overlap a bit. Using resample I made scenery from them with 3 different inf files and this made 3 bgl files. I put all 3 bgls in the same scenery folder, and all the textures in the same texture folder. When I paste the textures into the same folder, some files already exist (not many) and I say yes to overwrite. I think this is because my source images overlap a bit, so resample is doing some of same textures in the different bgl files. After reading the SDK again, and again, it seems that I should make sure my images only overlap by a certain amount to prevent this, but what amount ?In any case, it seems to work ok in flight simulator. But what is the downside of having bgl files which have a few textures of the same name in the same folder ? Will flight sim get confused or is it happy enough to know that some areas overlap and just display the scenery OK ? As I say, there appear to be no problem, but just want to get this right.Thank you for any information.Andy

Guest Andy Parton

Can anyone help me please ?I think by looking at some other questions here that my questions might be a bit stupid to you experts, but I try to work things out for myself but have got a bit stuck with this one.If anyone can help me I appreciate it a lot.ThanksAndy

Hi Andy,I don't think there will be a problem either, simply because you can't have several files of the same name in the same folder. So it's merely a matter of deciding which of the duplicate tiles look better (if there's a difference at all) and then decide the sequence of placement (overwriting) based on that. Cheers, Holger

Guest Andy Parton

Thank you Holger for your answer. I was starting to feel I had some kind of disease. :-)I see what you mean about the file names being the same, and yes they can't be two files of the same name in the same folder. I also have found out that the file names should be unique for each place in the world, which I sure you already must know.Is it still ok for the 3 bgl files to have a bit of overlap ? I would think that if the 3 bgls were in different folders and had a different layer number it would be ok, but I was not sure if there was a problem having 3 bgls in the same folder which had an overlap.I'm sorry if I am making more of my question than is necessary but I like to get things right rather than leave a possible problem to come up later.Thank you. Andy

Hi Andy,you're welcome but you also have to realize that not getting an answer right away or at all doesn't mean disrespect. This is a free "service", which only works if many different people participate, so you can't complain if you don't receive help ;-)As for your question, your bgl files simply define the extent of the photoreal textures as well as whether the display engine should expect summer textures only or other sets as well. In other words, the bgl files doesn't "care" how those custom bmp tile were created (i.e., different runs of resample.exe). In fact, it doesn't even care if they aren't available - it'll "paint" the missing sections grey. Thus, whether you keep the three subprojects separate or not is only a matter of convenience, distribution, etc., but not of display.Cheers, Holger

Guest Andy Parton

Thank you again Holger. I didn't mean to appear rude when I said about not having a reply it just that other questions was answered but not mine, I though my question was maybe to stupid or was not understood.I think I see now why overlapping bgl files don't matter as long as a texture is there to display.I did my scenery again with the resample.exe from FS2000 SDK because I read somewhere that it makes better textures. It does seem to be a bit clearer. I tried to merge my tmf files into one tmf file then make a bgl out of the merge tmf file but then some of the scenery is not displayed any more. If I make a bgl file from each tmf (no merging) then it works OK. Do you know if there is something special required for merging tmf files ?Thank you.Andy