Sign in to follow this  
Guest roblesj428

Help with Global Mapper to BGL

Guest roblesj428

HELP!!!I do not know what else to do, said that, I do not plan to invest financially anymore. I have Global Mapper, 3DEM, FSTerrain 2002, and FSDEM, and I GIVE UP!I need to know the steps, like if I HAD 5 YEARS OLD, using what I have, how to convert the data to BGL using Global Mapper?Thanking you in advanced. . .JorgeP.S.I have Puerto Rico files in NED 1, and it looks great.

Guest roblesj428

Thanks for the information, the scenery looks great, I will procede to make a brief manual with pictures step-by-step and post it here.One last thing;1. Downloaded NED 1" from seamless.2. Only 15-Minutes each tile, hence 27 tiny files for Puerto Rico.3. When I compiled it, it generated tiny bgl's, I mean smallest one 3k, biggest one almost 1MB. Is this normal? If so, then, this will be the most efficient way of building MESH for slow systems. My frames are in heavenly numbers, while maintaining beautiful scenery.Thanks again for your ideas, I just needed to tweak a couple of instructions, but it worked.I will post Puerto Rico scenery soon in AVSIM.Jorge RoblesP.S.Check out my jetblue files.

Hi Jorge,the size of your compiled files depends on the LOD you chose. However, 3kb is definitely too small. I suspect that the spatial extent of some of your source data packets doesn't fit with the fixed LOD grid system of FS and thus the mesh will be incomplete. One way to avoid this is to load all your individual tiles into Global Mapper and save them as one big BIL. In general, there are two main steps to check mesh compilation:1. Read Steve's information on the LOD grid and mesh gaps - http://www.fs-traveler.com/tips-d.shtml - and design your mesh accordingly. He also has a LOD grid calculator on his website.2. Use tmfviewer.exe - http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...sdk.asp#terrain - to check your compiled mesh files (tmfviewer will only show the mesh area that will be visible in FS.Cheers, Holger

Guest roblesj428

Here is the copy of my inf file. You know what's strange. . .that the tmfviewer see all the bgl's. Even if the smallest file is 2k, will the bgl file be viewable? Or, if there was an error in the bgl, will the tmfviewer still allow you to see the file. If you want, i'll e-mail you the files! all together, it's about 7mb (27 files).[Destination]LOD=11DestDir="G:prbil_done"DestBaseFileName= N1845W6715_N1830W6700BaseValue=0UseSourceDimensions=1[source]Type=ElevS16LSBSourceDir="G:Pr"SourceFile= N1845W6715_N1830W6700.bilNullCellValue=-32768CellType=S16MSBLat= 18.75049913 ;from hdrLon= -67.24986096 ;from hdrNumOfCellsPerLine= 901 ;from hdrNumOfLines= 901 ;from hdrCellXdimensionDeg= 0.000278086763 ;from hdrCellYdimensionDeg= 0.000278086763 ;from hdrScaleInMeters=1BaseValue=0

Howdy,TMFviewer will load faulty mesh files too though you'll be able to see the problems (e.g., red or purple areas as well as gaps).The thing for you to check is whether there are gaps inbetween the individual compiled tiles if you load neighboring compiled bgls into TMFViewer.Below is a screenshot of how it should NOT look like. That's one of the tiles of Stephen Rothlisberger's free "world mesh" at simviation, which unfortunately is compromised because he apparently didn't read/understand Steve's text about mesh gaps ;-(Cheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109838.jpg

Guest Horst

Hello,Jorge, if you have a lot of height 0 information (ocean), the bgls getting smallerAs Holger suggested: merge the files, when they cover a complete area!!1 arc data I would resample to LOD 10 (you have to write this in the inf file!).Problem: The user has to change his TMVL setting in fs9.cfg to 20, to see the detail of your mesh. Unfortunately, a global consequence in the Sim for the user.You can use LOD9 (this is the default setting in fs9.cfg, for TMVL=19), without a problem for the user.Resample the same data also to LOD8,7,6 (they are very small). You will not see the gaps when the default mesh files are shown (in the distance)So you will have a LOD 9 (10), 8, 7, 6 mesh bgl for the whole area.Kind regardsHorst

Guest roblesj428

Hi guys,thanks a lot for the procedures, they were very helpful. however, i had to create a huge file 10mb for the puerto rico scenery. see, i used to have a slow pc, hence, i simpathize with them. that's why, i wanted to do a scenery utilizing many small files (15min) segments.my next move is to better the bgl size, in other words, learn how to do it smaller, and make a manual with images and post it here in avsim. your input was amazing, and will be mentioned in the credit section. . .thanks again!