Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

Default.XML file questions

Guest artmartin

Why does my FS9 Default.xml file seem to have tons of repetitive entries? Was looking at it to figure out how to extract library objects in my replacement to the Annotator program and discovered that every entry is repeated at least 4 times in the file. Is that normal and why?It appears that when one uses Annotator to insert objects such as "Rural Medium" into a tile square .agn file, it is simply inserting the GUID for the entire class and FS randomly puts in the objects that belong to that class. I wonder if one can expressly insert the specific object GUID one wishes so you don't end up with a fast food chicken where a bank should be? Experimentation to follow.Thanks,Art Martin

Hi Art,I think some objects have been defined in multiple regions. You will see that in one region it is never defined twice.About the object selection, that is a good idea. I must say that I never tested it. At the moment you indeed select the class and then it selects some autogen.I am not sure if selecting a specific object in the autogen is really necesairy. If you want to be sure that a specific object appears, you can always just place it directly from GMax (with some XML code). The point of autogen is that it is sort of random to make the scenery less empty.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Art,Have you tried creating a new class in the default xml and use only those objects you wish to see. They will be selected by their footprint width and depth.George

Guest artmartin

I did discover today that you can only define full classes in the .agn file you create in order to see any objects appear. Was worth a try. No George, I haven't tried creating any classes yet. Might be worth a try. Anyway, I put the functionality into my new program to allow the user to place GUI objects and to properly save those defined in a previous program such as Annotator. From all my initial testing, the program's done. Only thing that remains is creating a help file. That usually takes some time so I think I'll release it with only a short text file describing the basic functions. Look for it in a day or two.It's been really helpful, especially in building rows of houses in huge housing developments. I initially made it so a user could define the area where the row of houses was to be in two ways, a straight horizontally or vertically defined area or an angled area. I realized that many of the house rows on my photo scenery curved so I added a freeform multi house tool as well. You define a curved line and multiple houses are built along that line. Artps: Here's a screenshot of rows of houses placed with my new software. My house is in the shot....of course.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110412.jpg

Hi Art,That screenshot looks great. Presumably you will be uploading here?I see that it is a mostly barren area, how does the program cope with forested areas?George

Guest artmartin

All my testing so far has been with the Phoenix area and it's hardly forested but there should be no difference in how a vegetation square of densely forested trees displays when created with Annotator from how it would be with my program. I'm using the exact same output file format. In the Phoenix area I generally am using about 60% palm trees to about 40% coniferous and the palm inclusion generally keeps the density down considerably even though I have overall density set to 100%. All my program does is makes it easier to define the squares although I did find today that it fails to put squares in the right places every so often on certain freehand defined areas. Of course that's why I put an UNDO button in the program.I'll be uploading the BETA version of the program to the file library here tonight.Art

Guest bones

Just to sidetrack for one moment.I've created new classes without any problem. One example is: Chimney06AC7DBEF7DC4840914A5394ED771EA310.010.0StackEE985DCE5BDB1BA4F67DB843BADA9582In this case the Chimney class will appear in AA and will only place the one library type in the scenery. Works well too.Has anyone tried to use a GMax object with a light call in the AA library? I've tried to use a buoy as an AA object but the light doesn't work.boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg