Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

What else controls autogen?

What is there beside *.agn files that controls the placement and type of autogen objects? I have removed some of the agn files and yet I still have trees displayed in unwanted places :)Thanks,Misho

P3D SpacePort Team

Hi Misho,Land class textures and their associated autogen have an interesting property that might lead to your problems: many classes will automatically switch to other classes when the slope gradient exceeds certain values. Thus, almost all classes will switch to the #156 rock textures (and shrubby autogen) on steep slopes. But there's also an intermediate threshold, which is used, for example, by residential classes: all of those will switch to deciduous forest on moderate slopes.Arnaud has done a great job in compiling a table of all land class types and their corresponding gradient-dependent replacements. It's available as an EXCEL table in this thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchHope that helps.Cheers, Holger

Hello Misho,Not all of the ground textures have associated autogen annotation files. I believe that only the urban and crop (with houses) textures do.The other ground textures get their autogen from what seems to be a built-in feature of the game.You can remove any unwanted autogen in different ways, probably easiest with an exclude or assigning a different land class.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,I've been working hard to solve this - Excluding is not a problem, I used ExcBuilder to exclude objects and it works. The problem is, it is either all or nothing. I can exclude those pesky trees, but then all of the other objects I wanted to keep are gone as well. I also have some custom autogen objects and they are gone too. In ExcBuilder, I can specify "Library objects" to exclude, but that gets rid of all of them. Is there any way to remove trees only?Failing that, do you have GUID numbers for those trees? I was surprised that MS never included tree objects in any of their Object Library listings...Misho

P3D SpacePort Team

Hello Misho,It can be difficult to remove many small objects. It probably requires making many small exclusions - very tedious. Perhaps it is easier to just modify the land class - picking a grass land class without vegetation will remove all trees.I do not know that there is a GUID available for the trees. Someone who has taken apart that part of FS could tell you more.Best regards.Luis

>Failing that, do you have GUID numbers for those trees? I was>surprised that MS never included tree objects in any of their>Object Library listings...>Search for my TreePlanter program here in the Avsim library.George

Hi George,I searched, downloaded and tested your TreePlanter. Thanks for the tip, but it is not quite what I was looking for. I was looking for a MS-specific GUID for their trees, the ones that FS is using in autogen. TreePlanter, as I understand it, uses NEW trees (contained in BGL files supplied) but with MS default textures, and Gerrish's trees, with the textures he supplies. Is that correct?Basically, what I was hoping to achieve is to override Microsoft's default "cross" trees (bascally, 2 polys crossing in the middle) with something I put together in GMAX, a much better looking 3D tree. A typical XML line would look like this:Where the GUID number is the one MS uses for their default autogen trees in FS. So, the GUID would be then remapped to a new MDL file, changing all autogen trees into new 3D trees. Is something like that possible?Thanks,Misho

P3D SpacePort Team

Hi Misho,The autogen trees have no GUID, they are not even library objects. It seems the scenery engine generates them on the run. So I am afraid there is no easy way to replace them.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks Arno - I was afraid that might be the case. At least I know where I stand with this.Now - while I have your attention :) : I have another thread about something entirely different, please look under "Far-away scenery" topic in this forum. I was wondering if anyone knew where are the definitions for the landclass tile color, which is used when the actual texture was unable to load, or, when you are in a map or satelite view with a large zoom out factor.Misho

P3D SpacePort Team

George,I tried TreePlanter but like another user reported I could not get the trees to display. There does not appear to be a tutorial so was wondering if you could tell me any basic setup steps needed for trees to be seen. I am using it to place trees over photoreal scenery but I tried it witout the photoreal scenery and there were still no trees.ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Never mind. Got it working. For some strange reason I needed both the library bgls in the generic folder, I only had the Gerrish one.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest statto

Perhaps you could edit the textures you are having trouble with with the Autogen SDK program provided by microsoft.Find the texture(s) you're having problems with, and then change the vegetation settings from 'default' to 'other' and then put the density slider down to zero.However, I can't guarantee that this will work with whatever you're trying to do, just something to try maybe.