Sign in to follow this  
Guest mtom

Ground2k4 and VTP poly edges

Guest mtom

Hi there.I was wondering whether anyone knows how avoid the cross-grain effect with VTP polys. In other words, when you place one ground poly over another (say, dirt over grass), the edges of the dirt poly present a jaggered contrast over the grass. It looks to me as if the pixles are more prominantly being displayed where the polys meet. This was not so apparent in FS2K2, but it's pretty striking in FS9.Anyone got any ideas how we can get around this?Cheers,Matthew.

Hello Matthew,Is this what you mean?http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110491.jpgYou can see where the separation between grass and dirt is not at all clear, but jagged.One might think that polygons would result in straight edges. But, the maximum resolution for terrain is about 4.8 meters per pixel. So, the boundaries of terrain polygons will show this effect.I don't know if there is a display setting that can attenuate the display of this jaggedness.But, if you want a clear edge for your polygon, do not draw VTP. Use the old-style SCASM ground polygons instead. Or, you can use AFCAD to draw very clear polygons using the default airport textures.As for me, I like this jagged effect, as it is a better reproduction of reality where often grass and dirt do mix in this manner.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110494.jpgBest regards.Luis

Guest mtom

Hi Luis.Yep, that's it. (I should have attached a screen shot. Sorry about that). I agree that the VTP poly look is better than the effect you get with SCASM objects. It is definatley more natural. However, I was hoping to create some grass/dirt taxiways, as the default FS ones are decidedly un-natural:-) The hard edge is okay for concrete etc, but not for grass and dirt. There needs to be a little more blending with the underlying ground. However, it's just a bit too jaggered.This issue and line of enquiry is reflected in my earier post (of the same day, I think) on AFCAD. One alternative, I thought, was to place multiple grass runways and use them as taxiways, but I'm running into trouble there, too.Anyway, thanks for the reply and your thoughts.Cheers,Matthew.