Sign in to follow this  
Taildragger

Bridge exclusion problem

I used DefArea2 to remove a corrupted bridge from the default FS9 scenery (at N45.29, W122.77).Problem is, it also wipes out another default bridge about 300m west. Positive that I am not slewing over the second bridge when recording, and did not use Excl8.Both bridges are in the same LOD 13 area. Does DefArea perhaps remove all objects that are at the specified level (in this case 7) within the same area? If so, how do you get around this?John

Guest luissa

Hi,The bridges that you are excluding are VTP lines and they are excluded as any other VTP item. Here is something about excluding:You can exclude default roads, polygons and other VTP scenery by using a polygon of type equal to "Exclude". The exclusion is on an Area and on a Layer basis. Every LOD13 square entered by the exclusion polygon will be candidate for exclusion. The other thing that you need, is to set the layers to be exclude. In FS2004, default rivers are in Layer 4, roads are in Layer 6, railroads in Layer 5, coastlines in Layer 8, bridges and airport polygons in Layer 7 and electricity pylons in Layer 4.So you are right - the 2 briges are in the same LOD13 and have the same layer number - and they are both excluded. One solution is to exclude the 2 bridges and then recreate the bridge that you want to keep in a different BGL file whose name is alphabetically higher than the name of the excluding file. Or, if you do not want to worry about the alphabetical order, give a different layer number to the recreated bridge.Luis

Thank you, Luis. If I am following, by "recreate the bridge you want" do you mean finding the bgl that has it, decompiling, extracting the code for that bridge, and recompiling? I assume it must be in one of the BR*.bgl files.John

Guest luissa

Hi,Yes I mean that! You could also use my programme SBuilder and append (open) the default BGL file to get a graphical display of all the bridges. Then you can just delete the ones you do not need and compile the ones that you keep.You do not need a registered version of SBuilder for this function anymore. Just get version 2.02 (available on avsim library) and install it. Then get the latest EXE (and another TXT replacement file) from:http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/sbxxx.zipRegards, Luis

Hi Luis,Great! I already use SBuilder for LWM/VTP creation. It's an excellent tool and easy for a beginner to learn. Many thanks for it from one very satisfied user.Much obliged for the bridge advice -- will give it a try.John

Oops -- when I try to open a default bgl, it tells me "not a valid FS Scenery Builder file". Did the upgrade from your sbxxx.zip, which gave version 2.04. Am I missing a step?John

Guest luissa

Hi John,You can not open BGL files directly. But you can append them to existing SBP (SBuilder Project) files. If you append to a blank SBP file, then the end result is as if you had opened the BGL.Try the sequence - New, Append VTP BGL, (delete some bridges), Save, Compile.Regards, Luis,ps: you do not need to register SB to compile appended BGLs in the next version of SB (you can get a pre-release in the link that I have shown).

Hi Luis,Thanks. I can now see from the bgl that the bridge is probably corrupted because the folks at MS defined it with a very crooked VTP2 line.The append, editing, and creation of a new line work perfectly, just as you describe. But when I go to compile, the message comes up "This function is only available in registered licenses of SBuilder". Also when I try to save the project.I obtained the update from your link above and it shows in Help/About as Version 2.04. Is this perhaps not the new pre-release copy?John

Guest luissa

>I obtained the update from your link above and it shows in>Help/About as Version 2.04. Is this perhaps not the new>pre-release copy?Hi,I wrote a wrong link! Sorry! The one (2.05) you need is:http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/sbyyy.zipRegards, Luis

Hello John,what do you mean by 'the bridge is "...defined it with a very crooked VTP2 line." ?All default bridges consists of 4 points and form a 'z'-shape - but displayed is only a line of 2 points (number of points - 2).Regards, Edgar

Hi Edgar,This bridge (line #343 in BR9namw0.bgl) is not the usual Z shape. Looks more like the path of a drunk trying to "walk the white line". In SBuilder it shows as 10 points. The decompiled segment is attached.In the sim, the bridge appears as if it has been bombed. Have a look -- it's just a mile or so north of KUAO.Just to be sure I had not messed somthing up, pulled the original out of the cab file again. No difference.Am I wrong thinking a crooked VTP could be the culprit?John

Guest luissa

Hi John,As Edgar pointed out bridges are made of 4 points in a Z shape. I also appended the file BR9namw0.bgl and looked for line #343. I found it to be a "good" line (may be you had already lines when you appended and you got different ##)). Here is how that "good" bridge looks like:http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/bridge343.gifIf you want to compile the file after you do your editing, you should not append the BGL as I have done to get this picture. In fact I had the option "Remove hooks" equal to OFF. I should set "Remove hooks" equal to ON. If I had that setting, bridge #343 would appear as a 2-point line which is necessary because SBuilder allways inserts this Z (otherwise the 4-point line would become a 6-point line). I also suggest that you set the option "Join Multi-Cell lines" in the case you have bridges that cross Cell borders (LOD8 borders).The bridge with problems is line #338 in my appending. Here is how it looks like (I used the decompilation that you posted to find it!):http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/bridge338.gifand in fact it looks like an error:http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/bridge338.jpgRegards, Luis

Hi Luis,Yes, the line numbering is different in my file. Your #338 is the one I mean.I deleted it and created a simple 2-point line, which fixed the bridge. But now I am curious why SB converts it to the 4-point Z shape. What do the hooks add to the bridge definition?Also, I did run into the problem you mention of compiling after appending. Had to first append the RD*.bgl to align the new bridge with the road, but then could not get rid of the RD file. It would be nice to be able to un-append.I ended up aligning by trial and error, but there must be a better way?John

Guest luissa

Hi,Please see this post:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=25779&page=With 2 points you can only define a THIN line. To define a WIDE line you need 4 points. SBuilder uses the width that you enter to the VTP line to determine the position of the extra points.Here is a tip for exact placement:- append ROADS- append BRIDGES- locate the problematic bridge- SELECT the road (call it A) that contains that bridge- invert your selection (edit menu)- press deleteat this stage you only have road A- append bridges again- delete the problematic bridge- make a new one using road A to position it- select road A- press delete to delete road A- compile to get a new bridges.BGLI do not know if you need to interrupt the road where the bridge sits.Regards, Luis