Sign in to follow this  

Indelible lake

Howdy,I have a lake on a pedestal that I cannot remove from my scenery. The lake appears on two adjacent topographic maps. I had an earlier problem of Ground2K4 not compiling a highway segment. I drew the lake in an attempt to solve this problem. I don't recall removing the lake but it does not appear drawn on this map or the adjacent one. I removed the BGL files for both maps and recompiled but the lake is still there. I've removed both BGL and LWM files for both maps but that lake is still present.Ground2K4 remembers the last lake elevation entered and the lake in question appears to have the elevation of a lake in mountains two maps distant. I've removed files for two mountain maps but that lake remains.I'm stumped. Can someone suggest how I can get rid of this lake to start all over again?Wil Husted

Howdy,A further development occurred when I drew a reservoir with shorline. Although I have the default BGL files in FS2004SceneryNAMCScenery disabled, the default reservoir appeared on pedestal or mesa when I flew the area to check my reservoir and some roads that I'd drawn. I now have both the new and the default reservoir a short distance apart.Later I edited the default BGL files and installed them in the FS2004SceneryNAMCScenery directory.Something appears to be causing the default lake and reservoir to be present in FS2004 despite the disabling of the default HL and HPxxxxxx.BGL files and the presence of edtied BGL files.Can someone bail me out of this dilemma? I'd be most appreciative.Wil

Hello All,This problem continues. This morning I drew two small reservoirs. When the BGLs were installed these two appeared on pedestals. I changed the elevation in Ground2K4 but they still appear on pedestals. I can't get rid of the default reservoir mentioned in my earlier post or make any changes to my own drawn lakes.I have the default BGLs HL and HP918150 disabled and edited files in their place. Something appears to be amiss in Ground2K4. I suspect that the "memory" function, the program remembering the last settings, has something to do with it but I don't know enough about the program to be sure.I'm about to heave the whole project out the door but have a lot of time and effort invested. Is it possible to save all of the working files, uninstall Ground2K4 v. 4 and install v. 3.3 and the 5.4 working files and have it work OK?Wil

Hi Wil,sorry, but I don't believe in G2K4 having memory problems or producing ghost lakes etc. I know it can be frustrating but those problem objects are no doubt due to some compiled bgl file that is active somewhere in your installation. It could also be (if it's a default lake that remains visible or at the incorrect elevation) that some other add-on includes it or a flatten switch for it.It can be tough to track those errant files down. Here's one possible approach: rename your current project's scenery subfolder to scenery.bak, make a new scenery subfolder, then re-compile the G2K4 project file(s). That'll give you a fresh set of files for checking and only those, without "remnants" of other files or earlier versions.If the problem remains, temporarily de-activate all (!) add-on scenery entries in your scenery libarary other than the default layers, including "Addon Scenery". Check again. If the problem is gone the hunt is on for the add-on entry that contains the offending file.If the problem remains, your last resort is to check the default folders (e.g., SceneryBasescenery, SceneryNamwscenery, SceneryWorldscenery) for any files of a date younger than the default files (most of them are May 2003). Remember that most scenery bgl files can be loaded into LWMViewer for checking location, elevation, etc.Good luck!Cheers, Holger

Howdy Holger,Hi Holger,Well, something seems unstable somewhere. Every time that I start FS9 to check the scenery something has changed. The last time I tried, three reservoirs that I had drawn and appeared on high pedestals showed up normally as I had drawn them and at the correct elevation. Some other new spikes appeared. Nothing seems consistent, I get a different appearance every time I start FS9.The whole thing began when Ground2K4 wouldn't compile a highway that I had drawn. In an effort to try and fix the situation I drew a lake/reservoir. Finally the work compiled. Then the problems began. However, I make changes and have neglected to keep a log of what I've done so I've probably shot myself in the foot in this mess.I've had it for the day but will begin an investigation a la your suggestions tomorrow and see if I can work it out. I'm working with a fellow to include a demo in the program and I'm wasting too much time with these weird phenomena. If I can't figger it out soon, we'll have to move on to Plan B.A saving grace is spring and summer are'a comin' on. We'll be hitting the great out-of-doors and this scenery stuff will be relegated to a period of benign neglect.Thanks again for your help.Wil

Howdy Holger,Is my face red! Once again you have revealed my failure to think through a problem logically, step-by-step, by the numbers and so on and on and on.Your first step provided the solution to my "problems". I removed all the BGLs from the scenery folder and the Ground2K4 folder, recompiled the whole shebang and there were the "default reservoir", six small lakes in a cluster and an isolated small lake when I flew the area. Thinking and acting shrewdly and decisively, I checked the elevations of the seven lakes and noted that all were at 2680m! Making another intensely and intuitively wonderful decision, I changed all the lake elevations to -9999. Another flight in the area revealed that the seven lakes were now on the ground, not on high pedestals! Then there was the "default reservoir". I flew over the thing and shrewdly observed that the northern edge was a straigt line while the southern edge was a road? Using my keen powers of deduction, I figgered that the flamin' thing was a road drawn as an LWM thingy. For once I was right, I think. Changing the settings to a line did in fact remove the "default reservoir" but left the road where it belonged. It is simply astounding what one can see from a high altitude!I do find Ground2K4's ability to remember previous choices disconcerting and a royal pain in the neck to one prone to senior moments and probable failing memory. When I get this and another project completed and posted, I think that I'll go back to an earlier version.Thanks again for taking the time to tell me what I'm sure that you have told me before. The Crazy Mountains were driving me crazy and your wise counsel hs once again saved the day.Wil