Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bernard Semet

LOD10

Guest Bernard Semet

Hy there,New member, be kind, the question may seem silly !!!What means LOD10 ? Are the downloadable LOD10 sceney files in the libary directly usable in FS 2004 or do they need any additional installation program ?I intend to develop LOD? files of my places of interest, but your forum is so extensive that it will take me some time to understand how to do it, even if I have some programming knowledge. (anyone remembering FS on TRS80 ? That was something special !!!)

You might want to take a look at the "beginners guide to scenery design" thread at the top of this forum.LOD (level of detail) is a measurement and display system used by Flight Sim to represent the Earth surface (in this context). The Sim can use a variety of spatial resolutions as a trade between speed and accuracy. Each resolution is defined as a "level of detail" and is assigned a number from 0 (lowest resolution) on up. Level n has twice the resolution of level n-1. If you look at the linked sites in that thread, you can get a mathematical description, which will show you that at "LOD10" the resolution is about 38 meters.Earth surface is modeled by flight sim as a height field, which more or less is synonymous with the terms DEM or Mesh. The sim is capable of using height fields of different resolutions, constrained by LDO definitions, and controlled by the various terrain sliders in the settings menus.As the "beginners guide" thread explains, MS has provided tools to take a variety of source data and convert it to the format required by the sim.The downloadable files have gone through this process and should (and I do mean should, not will) work "as-is". If you work your way throguh the links nad references, you will see that there are many pitfalls that can result in problems when the files are used in the sim. Many of the threads in this forum, and the mesh scenery design forum, deal with how to avoid these pitfalls or correct them.scott s..

Guest Bernard Semet

Thank you Scott, I'll try to find my way through:-)