Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimkeir

Default Object Placer - FS9

GreetingsI have been writing an application that places FS9 default objects in my scenery much the same way that Rwy12 places their objects. I currently use FSConnect.dll to get location information from FS9. Just skew the aircraft where you want to place one of the FS9 default objects (I currently have about 200 of the guids in my program) and the app writes xml code and then compiles the bgl file using bglcomp. This is not intended to replace or compete with the excellent Rwy12 application, which I currently use and enjoy. I simply wrote this to take advantage of the many default objects already included as part of FS9. Right now the app makes new files and adds objects to current files. Still working on deleting objects. It is still very much beta, so I am looking for one or two folks who might wish to use it for awhile and provide feedback. This is and shall remain freeware of course. I just thought that if I enjoy it, there might be someone else out there that would too.Is there any interest for something like this out there? If not I will be content just to continue using it myself.Regards and thanks to all the authors for the answers I have received while lurking over the past few months.Odaathttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110967.jpg

Hello Odaat,Looks nice :).Would it not be easier to just add the default objects to Rwy12 if they are missing there? By making a new XML file for Rwy12 it should not be that hard to do that (and could save you some time).I have written my own tool just like this (ObPlacer XML), so I don't think I can help you with testing. At the moment I have 215 generic library objects included, but I don't use preview pictures in my tool.http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/obplacer_xml.jpg

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

There are many objects that do not appear in Rwy 12 Object Placer, so another, more comprehensive program is always welcome.Best regards.Luis

If they do not appear in FS, that is usually due to the object itself (many objects are locked at a certain location).If you mean that they are just missing in the list of available objects in Rwy12, it still think it is easier to extend the XML file that lists the available objects, then to design a new tool :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

>If you mean that they are just missing in the list of>available objects in Rwy12, it still think it is easier to>extend the XML file that lists the available objects, then to>design a new tool :).Hi ArnoI really enjoy your comments and help in the various forums I participate in, as well as your website.This project was more of a coding exercise for me just to see if I could do it, and I've had lots of fun learning gmax, the bgl and fsconnect sdk's as well as learning xml for FS9. You may be right that it would be easier for me to put the remaining default objects into an xml for Rwy12. I'll give it a try.I registered my copy of FSUIP and got the sdk, but there wasn't much help for the sdk like I found for fsconnect. Is there any reason to use FSUIP instead of FSConnect for program interaction that you're aware of?Thanks,Odaat

Hi Odaat,>This project was more of a coding exercise for me just to see>if I could do it, and I've had lots of fun learning gmax, the>bgl and fsconnect sdk's as well as learning xml for FS9. I can very well imagine that :). Programming the tools is indeed a lot of fun as well.>I registered my copy of FSUIP and got the sdk, but there>wasn't much help for the sdk like I found for fsconnect. Is>there any reason to use FSUIP instead of FSConnect for program>interaction that you're aware of?Up until today I used FsConnect with my ObPlacer XML as well. If you only want to read the position of the aircraft both can do the job for you (and FsConnect is probably easier). But I have just coded some functionality that also allows you to put the aircraft at the position of an object you have already placed. And with FsConnect I could not get this working, so I moved to FSUIPC now.

Arno

I think what would be helpful is to have an object places create AFW type generic buildings and allow a Rwy12 type 'real-time' placement capability.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez,This is indeed a good idea, and has already been suggested for my ObPlacer XML tool as well. Rhumbaflappy then suggested to add a selection of advanced building configurations (these are XML generic buildings or course, not the ones AFW places).Maybe I can add this in a future update.

Arno

Guest jimkeir

Hi,I've been working on pretty much the same thing for a while. I'm getting pretty close to releasing something, but there's a catch: it'll currently only work on GForceFX or Radeon 9500+ graphics cards. I'll try and get it working on older cards once it's out.If somebody with a Radeon card could spare some time to try it out, I'd appreciate it. I can't test it there myself, I don't have one :) I want to find out a) if it works at all, and :( is it fast enough to be usable? I upgraded my PC to a bit of a monster recently, so no performance problems on *anything* any more :DCheers,Jim Keir

I have a radeon x850xt pe card. I'll be glad to try it out if you want.Odaat

Guest jimkeir

Thanks, Odaat. I'll send you a PM in a few days, if that's OK. It's still rather rough around the edges but knowing the core stuff works would be nice.Cheers,Jim