Sign in to follow this  
Guest horst18519

Ramp Lighting

Gentlemen,From messages here, I've come to grips with the apparent fact that GMAX light objects do not work in FS2004 but that one uses effects for this. OK, I have used effects to place red obstacle lights on top of hangars so have the basics of effect placement. I have not been successful in finding an effect to light a ramp area in front of a hangar. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest bones

Can I just qualify your comment please. GMax object lights DO work in FS2004 if they have been compiled with the earlier FS2002 version of MakeMDL which exports the object directly as a BGL. It's only when you start using the new MakeMDL for FS2004 that this becomes difficult.I've hit the same problem as yourself because I wanted to convert my apron lights into library objects - which I can't do with the early BGL files. When I moved on to the FS2004 MakeMDL and exported the lights as MDL files I did indeed find the lights no longer work. There is a workaround, as Arno kindly explained, but it looks like you will need to edit the code. See my post below on FS9 MakeMDL problems..boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

As I wrestle with this, what does the 2004 Makemdl do that the 2002 Makemdl not do? Can one use the 2002 version to create for 2004?

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest bones

I can't answer that too deeply as I have only just started to use the newer version.At a simple level the FS2002 MakeMDL converter would export GMax objects as BGL files whereas the new version converts the output to both an MDL and XML file. The FS2002 conveter also allowed you access to the export options such as the Crash map, Light map, Night map etc etc. With the newer version you can only get to these if you use a utility like MDLCommander.If you use the early FS2002 MakeMDL file the output seems to work fine in FS2004 and (obviously) the scenery is backward compatible with FS2002. Here's a shot of apron lights made for FS2002 but now running in FS2004 - white for the ramp but orange (sodium) for the roadways:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/111691.jpgThere are obvious advantages to using the new MakeMDL exporter, one being the ability to convert the MDL/XML output into library files but someone else will have to chip in here with the deeper knowledge of this tool - I'm just beginning..boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

The scenery I am doing is not rocket science. Maybe the 2002 MakeMDL will do all I need. If it doesn't, maybe I can create one file with the lights and delete everything else and then create the same file without the lights with 2004 MakeMDL.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Unfortunately there is a bug in the new MakeMDL that causes these light commands to not export correct. With some source code tweaking you can make them work again. But it is probably easier to make your lights with the old gamepack.I would still advice you to do all your other objects with the new gamepack. Placing your objects is for example much easier with the XML code and the performance also seems to be slightly better.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks, I am retooling for 2002 on my laptop. I'll keep the 2004 gamepack on my desktop. In order to have a clean install, I uninstalled and then reinstalled GMAX on the laptop. Then I installed the 2002 MakeMDL SDK files in the plugins directory but I am apparently still missing something since it won't compile. Are there other files that need to be in the plugin directory? The GMAX install is 1.2 from the "GMAX Bible" CD.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Hi Mike,There is a document (and some files) with the Fs2004 SDK, that tells you how you can use both together that works much easier.You also need the fsmodelexp.dle file that came with Fs2002 to be able to export.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks, I'll have to get FS2002 back from nephews, then I'll be in business.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I went to the web site listed but saw nothing of a fx type. Probably would have helped if I spoke German.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Guest horst18519

Oh, sorry. ;-)Yes, the HP is in german. You should be directed to a screenshot with a terminal and some airliners. The lightdots and the ramplighting is made with effects.

Hi Thorsten,That looks nice. How many of these effects have you placed at the airport? And does it influence the performance much?I once tried a realistic amount of LIGHT_LAND lights on my airport, but it killed the performance :).And the last question would then be of course, can we use the effects as well :). I did not see them in the download section, but my German is not that good anymore.

Arno

Guest horst18519

Hi Arno,thankyou. :-)Of course the effects affect the performance, but it really is OK. I can't say at the moment how many fps I lost. But I can't see a big difference between day and night (of course the fx is only active at night/dusk/dawn). I placed about 150 single effects.I attached a zip with the effects and a texture for the fx. It's build on the halo.bmp, which I find very useful for many applications.I'm jut entering the scenery-design, but I think I'll make an english version of my HP in order to avoid languageproblems like this...

Hi Thorsten,Thanks. I am certainly going to take a look at them :).Can you maybe indicate what is the difference between the 3 FX files? I see lichtkegel and lichtkegel_sm, I assume these are the normal light beams, but what is the difference in the sm version? And the strahler file what kind of light does it contain?As I am Dutch, I have had some German at school (and some words look similar to Dutch anyway), so I must say I did not have a very big problem with your website :).The LIGHT_LAND I refered to, I think I had placed around 120 light posts in that case (which a few LIGHT_LAND lights on each) and that halfed my framerate. So I guess effects are more efficient.

Arno