Sign in to follow this  
CPA156

Help With AFCAD Please!!!!

HelloI have just started using AFCAD. Today I have just tried to uptade Singapore's Changi Airport's runway, changing it from 02R to 02C and 20L to 20C. I went and changed the runways. After i finished i tested it on FS and I checked the ATIS, for the runways it said 'ILS 02L and Visual 02C'. I thought that that couldn't be right and i went back to AFCAD and checked the navaids and it said that 02C had an ILS. *How can I make it so the ATC in FS will make ILS 02C approaches available?*thanks Patrick

Hi Patrick,To make sure the ATC uses a runway for IFR you need to make correct approaches. If you change the runway number, you will also have to change the approaches. Else they do no longer match the runway and you get only a visual approach in that case.If you search this forum for XML and approach you will find some topics discussing this problem.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I searched for things about XML and approaches as you said. I downloaded BGLCOMP_SDK and MSXML 4.0.........but the stuff doesn't make much sense to me. Could you or someone else give a brief explantion of what I have to do or point me in the direction where someone else could? Thanks Patrick

I would start by downloading BGLXML150 this is a program that will disassemble the default file so you can see what is in there.Singapore changi is in sceneryasiasceneryAP975310.BGL.You might try the windows front end BGLxmlshell which lets you plug in the file name and also the lat/long for Changi, so you only have to look at the data around the airport. Save the resulting file as changi.xml (or your pick). You can view it in a browser, or as text. It's a little more clear in a browser (at least in Mozilla. Can't say for Explorer.)search for Approach. Then open the bglcomp.doc file that came with the SDK and compare to what you see in the doc for "approach". What I see, is the following:Approach type="VORDME" runway="02" suffix="0" gpsOverlay="FALSE" designator="RIGHT" fixType="TERMINAL_WAYPOINT" fixRegion="WS" fixIdent="FD02R" altitude="762.00" heading="23.54" missedAltitude="2286.00"(total of 6 different approach entries)The key being runway 02 and designator RIGHT.Unless someone has a better method, I would create a new file using the header infor from the bglcomp xml document, copy the changi airport element, add a new element forDeleteAirport deleteAllApproaches="TRUE"Then paste in all the approach elements and subelements. Don'tforget to close out the /Airport and /FSData.Edit the Approach designator(s) from "RIGHT" to "CENTER" or whatever you need. Then save. open a command prompt window and try to run bglcomp on your file. If you get errors look carefully at the messages and you should be able to figure out what line you made a mistake on and go back and correct it. When you get it to compile successfully try putting the resulting bgl file in the folder your AFCADs are in and try it out.scott s..

thanks Scott but where can i download 'BGLXML150' I searched on google and it just came up with links for FlightSim Network Conferences :( Patrick

Guest fame

Hi Patrick:Here's the information:BGLXML is an utility which analyzes and decompiles BGL files into FS2004 format and produces human readable XML files to be recompiled with Microsoft BGLCOMP (available from our FS2004 SDK page). It fully supports almost all options included into new BGL file format, it is also able to extract .MDL files from ModelData sections. Now includes XMLSHELL, a GUI program for controlling bglxml from Windows Explorer. Download it from: http://www.scenery.org/design_utilities_a.htmGood LuckTom G, Sr.

OK. Here is the complete file. Save this file and change file extension to .xml. download the FS2004 BGLCOMP SDK from Microsoft.com (see the first thread in this forum for links). Install the SDK. You will have the .doc file with the "how to", the bglcomp .exe and the schema .xsd file. I think I edited the appropriate approaches from 02 RIGHT to 02 CENTER and 20 LEFT to 20 CENTER. Feel free to double check my work!You can just drag and drop this file onto bglcomp.exe and it should create a file with the same name but .BGL extension in the same folder. Copy this file into the scenery folder where the rest of your AFCAD files are located and you should be good to go. At least if your aren't, then it's beyond what I know about this stuff at this point and someone else will have to sort it for you (sorry).http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/113382.txtI should add that I don't have any experience with this. I just experimented with what seemed logical to me.scott s..