Sign in to follow this  
Guest clmax

Speeding rebooting time??

Guest Hugo

Hi all!Could someone tell me if there is a way to reduce (or bypass altogether) FS2004 splash screen time (the one with the DC3 on) to speedup program's startup time. Would be usefull when rebooting after a scenery mod. Thanks for any advice,Hugo

Guest ThrottleUp

I may be wrong but I do not think there is a way to do that - I guess you have a lot of addon goodies? :)When I first got FS9 it was naked: no add-on planes or scenery. It booted like a rocket.Different story today, with 40GB+ of mesh, scenery & planes the bootup time has increased drastically, I think that is the price we pay when we add all the goodies to this program.At the same time if Im wrong and there *is* a way...that would be awesome, but I think thats unlikely :( FS9 has to load it all up...and that takes time.

Guest Hugo

'I guess you have a lot of addon goodies? :)' Well I have some but not nearly as much as 40GB ;-)I thought I had red somewhere it could be done but i did a search on all forums with different keywords. No avail. :-( Possibly I just daydreamed :-)Lets see if someone else is well awake...Hugo

Guest ThrottleUp

Yea lets see if someone else answers! ------------------------------------------------------------------------Well I have some but not nearly as much as 40GB------------------------------------------------------------------------Yes I went on a bit of a downloading spree http://www.nextgenerationrecords.co.uk/boa...con_redface.gifThe great thing is that all of it...is 100% free. All those airplane, mesh & scenery designers out there - cant thank them enough!

Hello Hugo,In your FS9.cfg file, add the following to the Startup section:Show_Opening_Screen=0I think that this will remove the splash screen, but have never tried it myself.You can also use Ken Salter's FS9 Configurator to make this and many other changes.Best regards.Luis

The picture is merely a placeholder (something to show) while other events occur. Its removal should not change the speed of loading. I would suggest that you use the scenery library function in FS2004 to temporarily disable all your non-standard stuff and gradually re-introduce it to see if one particular addon is at fault.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Thanks, Dick. You are right about the splash screen.However, scenery is not loaded at startup, so eliminating add-on scenery will not reduce the startup time.However, all aircraft are loaded so that they can be displayed in the aircraft selection window. To reduce the time for startup, remove all unused aircraft. And, make sure that all AI aircraft are flagged as such in the flight model so that they are not loaded.Best regards.Luis

Your are right the aircraft will have a large impact. Also, if the memory is fragmented, or previous activity created a large virtual memory on disk, it seems that some time is spent initially getting things "ready" for the loading of the scenery elements. I sometimes find that load time is reasonable if I reload soon after.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest clmax

Given that scenery design requires considerable closing and restarting of Flight Sim (understated? - YES!!), would it be adventageous to install a fresh copy of the sim in another folder or partition to be used for development? Ideally a seperate machine for development would be the way to go.I just installed an FSGenesis mesh product and I'm in the middle of a scenery project. Now I have to figure out how to "disable" it so I can be sure my scenery will work with the default.Thinking out loud,-Greg

Guest kaindragoon36

I've found out, that using FlightSim Manager is a great help. I've categorized all my airplanes, and by disabling the ones I'm not gonna use before I boot, I can get into FS in a matter of 3-4 seconds. I have probably 5GB of airplanes, and another 20GB of Scenery, but the planes seem to do it. It really helps with framerates and overall responsiveness of the program too. Patrick