Sign in to follow this  

Guest LW

Hi all,New to scenery design, in FS2004 at least, and I was wondering if anyone has designed a utility to convert BGL data to a text or Excel type format?Actually, what I'm trying to do is find a particular airport within a BGL file for editing in SceneGenX without having to laboriously go through every BGL for the region.I have obtained just about every tool available (Many thnx to all the programmers out there!!!), but I can't find one to do what I'm asking. I have also checked this Forum for previous topics of this nature, to no avail.Thnx in advance for any assistance,LW

Hi,If you want to modify an existing airport it is much better to make an exlcude for the features you don't want and just design from scratch what you want to add.Opening and modifying the default airport is not a really great idea in general.What do you want to modify for your airport? If you want to change taxiways, etc, AFCAD2 is a great choice. It can load the default airport and will save it as a copy when you have made your changes.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest LW

Hi Arno,Actually, I am trying to locate one particular default airport that I want to work on by searching the BGL files for that areas scenery. I know there has to be a better way!I use AFCAD (great program!). I'm trying to change some objects at an airport, but I have to make an exclude file, and the only way I know to do that is to decompile the BGL to XML, but I can't locate the airport within the BGL file. Do you know of a tool or utility that will read a BGL file and list which airports are in a particular file. Sure would be a lot easier than going through the BGL files to look for just one airport.LW

Guest LW

Arno,Thnx for your reply but I figured out what I need to do.LW

You can use SGX to extract specific airport xml data, or you can use AFCAD to determine the file name of the stock airport, and use bglxml150 XMLShell to extract objects within a radius of the airport ref point.scott s..

Guest LW

Scott,Thanks for the help. Tried it and it worked like a charm, FIRST TIME!!The exclude went perfect!

You can download, install, and use newbglanalyze_143281.zip and bglx150.zip to decompile/disassemble the fs2004 airport files. bglx is part of SceneGenX - http://www.airportforwindows.com/ .I decompiled the airport were I work, fly, and train. I import the XML into SGX, made the necessary changes and compiled with the SGX BGLComp interface.W. Sieffert