Sign in to follow this  
Bill Womack

A curved roof

Guest G_BODD

I'm new to GMAX and want to make a curved roof building. Here is a pic. of the actual building:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/116135.jpgIt is a hanger at Leeds Bradford Airport and I would like to be able to go inside. Here is a pic. of what I have done:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/116136.jpgThis is all one object but I don't know how I would get the roof shape.Thanks for your help!

One suggestion would be to make a thin box with the same shape as the floor plan of the hanger and a reasonable (even) number of width segments and convert it into an editable mesh. In the front view, select the vetices at the centre and lift them to the right height, then select sets of vertices at equal distances from the centre and lift adjust their heights by trial and error until the roof look right.I'm sure other will come up with alternative ways.

Guest davidglaister

Hi,Make a circle that is the same diameter as the walls, non uniform scale so that one half of the circle is now the same shape as the fron of the roof (this is only a template, ignore any warnings).Turn on VERTEX and PIVOT snaps. Create a line thats snaps to the vertices of the template and include the centre of the circle (this makes the final shape more symetrical), close spline. The shape created should now be the same shape as the front of the roof. Delete the template.Create a single straight line the same length as the roof in a spare space in the work window.Select the shape that is the same as the roof, Click on the create icon and in the drop down window and select "compound objects" and below it "Loft", click "Get Path" and select the line that is the same length as the roof.This should create the roof, right click and convert to editable poly. select the two polys that are not required (the two flat surfaces on the inside). Clone and flip normals.Thats how I would do it, sounds long winded, but is really simple and quick.David.

Here's another way you can go about it:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/116157.gif1. Make a circle (using the shapes panel in Gmax) with a radius that's half the width of your hangar. Then make a rectangle that has the height/width of the square (bottom) part of the hangar. Position the rectangle so it intersects the circle where you want them to meet to form the basic profile of your hangar.2. Attach the rectangle to the circle to form one spline.3. Using the segment sub-object, select and delete the unnecssary segments to form the basic hangar shape.4. Using the scaling tool, scale your spline so it's the correct shape for the hangar.5. Use the "extrude" modifier under "Mesh Edit" to extrude the spline to the correct depth for your hangar and collapse it to an editable mesh. To create the inside, select and clone your new mesh. Using the polygon sub-object of this new mesh, select all the splines and flip their normals.Once you've done all this, all you have to do is cap the ends and you're most of the way to having a hangar with a curved roof!thanks,

Guest davidglaister

I still think the loft method would be less trouble.David

Guest G_BODD

David,I think your method is worth a try but could you post some instructions that are abit more simple. It's not your fault, its just me been new to all this kind of thing.

Guest davidglaister

Hi,I have made a document with pic's, not sure if it would be better to post it here, or make a PDF and email it to you.David

You're welcome for the help. Nothing like spending an hour of your life trying to help someone out and then have them completely ignore it.

Guest Jos

Hi,I want to thank you too. Was reading and following this topic. It's fine that someone can help to bring our projects to a good end !Greetz. Jos

Thanks, guys. As long as someone found it helpful, it wasn't time wasted. I just checked and I see that young master Richard is only 15. Looks like somebody needs a few lessons in etiquette as well as Gmax ;-).thx,

Guest G_BODD

Sorry Bill,I was using them in order of the messages sent and trying each one to see which was the easiest.I will try everyones and I thankyou for the time you have given in order to give me help.

Guest Jos

Hi,Have tried and got a mesh-like building... no color or texture on it. I must have missed a step. (Could not load a screenshot, but you can consult it on... well well on preview I see my screenshot). So how do I do texturing ?On the screenie you can see also at the front left that the spline is not straight... can I avoid this ?Greetz. Jos