Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

GMAX to FS2002

Guest Jos

Hi,As I wanted to export my model to FS2002 an error appears:Running modelStart! (C:gmaxmeshesEBOSfence)Loading X C:gmaxmeshesEBOSfence...ERROR: Invalid X file: C:gmaxmeshesEBOSfence.Error!Error!----------------------------------------------and of course no .bgl to see.Is my Makemdl corrupt ? Makemdl and fsmodelexp are located in GMAX/Plugins. Maybe I need a newer version for GMAX 1.2 ?Where can I find this files on the Net and download a new pair ?Or is there another solution ?Greetz. Jos

Guest Firestriker

Jose,gMax v1.2 is the latest version. I'd sooner think there is something about your model that makemdl doesn't like. It is really hard to say without seeing your source file first hand. If you could zip your gMax source file with the textures and upload it as an attachment, I am sure someone would have a look and see if they can figure the problem out for you as to why it won't pass muster.Lou

Guest Jos

Hi,OK... I will send a file to you.In faxt... if I make a simple box and save it as "Testbox" without texture... is that enough for an example ?The error says also that the path must be right. I put Makemdl and fsexportmodel.dle in PlugIns. I can also configure the path, but how ?I feel like a newbie... and a newbie I am... that's for sure, h

You should be using GMAX Ver 1.2. It is available on the FS2004 CDs or download from http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax . You will also need the FS2002 MAKEMDL.exe and FSModelExp.dle. Download the FS2004_GMAX_SDK from http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/ for the proper installation of gamepacks for FS2002/FS2004.W. Sieffert

Guest Jos

Hello,I run FS2002. So you mean: download the FS2004 GMAX game SDK and use the Makemdl + export dle from this file and put it in PluIns GMAX 1.2 ?Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,May I come to this: GMAX cannot find makeMDL... so where must makeMDL be placed ?In Menu / Customize / Configure Path... can or must be set the right path to makeMDL. How must I do that ? How must it look like ? I red also that the adres of FS2002 must set somewhere... I cannot find that item to set it.I really want to solve this you know.Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,If you are only using the Fs2002 gamepack in GMax, you can follow the instructions that came with Fs2002. Your makemdl.cfg should go to the plugins folder of GMax (and please download the latest version of the Fs20002 MakeMDL from the MS SDK site).Have you ever used MakeMDL with success before? Else it could also be that you have to change your regional settings in Windows. The Fs2002 MakeMDL only works with the decimal character set to dot (while comma is the default Belgium setting).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi,Have now installed the latest makemdl. But stil an error message. By the way, it's for the first time I use GMAX.----------------error logRunning modelStart! (C:gmaxScenesfencenpost)Loading X C:gmaxScenesfencenpost...Error in exporter: Mismatch between # vertices (117) and # normals (24) in part Box01.Error!Error!----------------This by using a file from AVSIM: fence_n_post.zip (with 24 bit bmp... also if I changed the bmp to an 8 bit bmp)So, the setting for Belgium only is not enough ?Therefore I need to change it with the install disc of XP Pro ?And this FS2002 gamepack, where will I find it ?Greetz. Sorry if I become confused.Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,Problem solved !!!After changin this little decimal into a period in Control Panel, etc. GMAX made a .bgl .So much trouble due to an item as this.Now I have to resolve the problem of the scale (it is too big) and I see a black plane instead seeing through (using the wrong image or so).Thanks for your help !!!Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,Yes, I indeed meant the setting in the Control Panel, but you have already found that :).How are your units setup in GMax? Setting them all to meters works best, if some are now set to something else (like feet) that could be the cause of your wrong scale.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Jos

Hi,The setting in GMAX were set to meters (I will check it again to be sure, you never know. Could it be changed by setting the decimal into a period ? So 1,000 meter or one meter changed into 1.000 meter or thousand meter... here in Belgium, h

Hi Jose,Glad you solved the problem. Forgot to warn you about regional settings.I don't know if you followed my suggestions above about installing the FS2004_GMAX_SDK. One reason to install the SDK, is to properly install the FS2004 gamepack, as gamepacks are to be installed. The FS2002 gamepack instructions were faulty, especially if you were to install additional gamepacks in the future. The SDK corrected the FS2002 installation so all other gamepacks were not affected.I have four gamepacks installed in my GMAX. Each is started by a separate menu selection, and each runs as a separate program within the GMAX shell.If you never intend to add additional gamepacks, the faulty FS2002 gamepack installation will work.W. Sieffert

Guest Jos

Hi,I have not installed any gamepack yet. So I can install the FS2004 gamepack minus the makemdl SDK in GMAX 12 and use FS2002 without problems ?Jos

Hi Jose,As you work for Fs2002 only the Fs2004 gamepack has totally no purpose for you. But as W. Sieffert pointed out the install instructions of the Fs2002 gamepack are not really correct. If you want to use different gamepacks later on (for another game for example), you will have to install it differently. The new Fs2004 gamepack also tells you how to install the old Fs2002 gamepack with a more correct structure.

Arno

Guest Jos

Hi,I understand...Have at least now the possibility to make a .bgl and export my object.However I am struggling to make a fence transparant. In spite of the numerous topics, I cannot get the point. Hoped to find a step-by-step tutorial, simple, complete and clear. I think the problem is also so tiny as the comma and the period, h