Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Scenery Problems

Guest willg

ive got a really annoying problem with my scenery. Instead of the horizon slowly mergeing into mist or where the eye can see no more the land simply ends, its hard to explain, but i can see perfectly fine, then suddenly all land and terrain just ends, and the sky comes in to view. also all land is pitch black and the whole world is just so dull. It's really annoying, as sometimes i have actually seen the FS horizon slowly merge to sky, so i know it can be done, may this be to do with the visibility?

If weather vis. is 30 miles or less, FS9 does a much better job of blending the horizon. If it is greater, or you are above the vis. layer, the date determines how good a job FS9 will do. FS9 uses environment bitmaps that control the color of haze, sky color, and cloud shading. These are rotated by date and time so virtually no two days will look the same.Set your sim date for April 23rd, 2003. I find that date about the best that FS9 can do (assuming you have the default sky set and not one of the add-on sets). Around dawn/dusk however, the land/sky transition is much sharper regardless of date, especially if you look towards the sun.FS2002, by contrast, had outstanding haze, even at unlimited visibility. But its clouds were cartoonish compared to FS9. For me, flying with the 4/23 date has been a good compromise. There are also various "sky sets" that may make things better or worse. I even made a "Mars" set once, that gave this blood red sky at night.-John

Guest willg

thanks ill try that. Do you think this might have been caused by me installing some custom environment modifications? I might re install the game and see what its like then.

Even the default sky bitmaps caused the horizon issues, some less than others. Most add-ons improve it, but not to a great degree. If you have an add-on I would stick with it. You may find several "dates" where the effect isn't that bad. If you want to, you can edit the sky bitmaps yourself. They are in the Flight Simulator 9Texture folder. There's 140 32x32 bitmaps, divided into 14 groups of ten which are broken down by time of day. You can do some pretty interesting things with them, like what I've done here:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/117951.jpg