Sign in to follow this  
Guest cornclose

Real weather download

Guest 737767

I would like to download real weather data from another computer and so transfer the data to the computer where FS2002 is installed. How and where can I do this and how can I get the data loaded into the running FS?Thanks for any help!

If you want to use the FS2002 real weather, then you would have to have FS2002 loaded on the second computer since FS2002 processes the weather into its own type files, *.WX, that are placed in the fs2002flightsmyflights folder.The only other way to download the weather would be the standard text files from a Government weather department ftp://weather.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/cycles/ . You would also need a third party weather program, such as, Real Weather 5.21 to import and read the text data into its database. Real Weather can be downloaded from http://www.fsnordic.net/ .

Guest 737767

Thanks for your reply! Sounds qiet difficult though, so I think i will continue to download real wether with the machine running FS.

There are two other ways.Buy 'FS Meteo' www.fsmeteo.com and you can ask it to down load the current weather (or weather from a previous time) and save it to disk.Run another copy of FS Meteo with Flight Sim, copy the down loaded weather over to that PC and then tell FS Meteo to use that down loaded weather.Incidentally FS Meteo does much more than this.The second way, if both PCs are quite close to each other, is to network the two together, install Widefs & FSUIPC (both free), connect one to the internet and run FS Meteo on that, and leave the PC running FS just connected to the other Internet connected PC.FS Meteo will get the real World weather and transfer it to the PC running FS, this leaves the PC with FS on it free to just run FS which helps to make FS run better.

Guest cornclose

>> The second way, if both PCs are quite close to each other, is to network the two together, install Widefs & FSUIPC (both free), connect one to the internet and run FS Meteo on that, and leave the PC running FS just connected to the other Internet connected PC.FS Meteo will get the real World weather and transfer it to the PC running FS, this leaves the PC with FS on it free to just run FS which helps to make FS run better. <<...you can also use Real Weather 5.21 in this way...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest joea

Does Realweather 5.21 have upper winds?

Hello. I have a few questions I hope you could answer for me about Real Weather 5.21. Real Weather looks like it is a free program, is this true? Are additional weather reporting stations used in FS2002 when Real Weather is used? I remember reading that FSMeteo will make weather in FS2002 more realistic since it gathers data from more reporting stations so that weather conditions can change more often within FS2002. Is this also true with Real Weather? Thanks, Matt

Guest joea

I just found Real Weather at fs.com in fact it's an old program for fs98 probably was good for the time but no upper winds :-( and probalby lots fewer stations so no free alternative to built-in realweather. Anyway, fsmeteo has done me no wrong and is a superb program with among the BEST support.:-walksmile

Guest cornclose

It does have upper winds. It does not download them, but calculates them based upon other conditions downloaded from surface observations.Works very well indeed...Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest cornclose

The stations database for Real Weather 5.21 is a standard Microsoft Access mdb file, which can be fully configured for reporting stations as required. So, whatever stations you have in FSMeteo can be done in Real Weather 5.21.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Guest cornclose

>>Real Weather looks like it is a free program, is this true?Yes.>>Are additional weather reporting stations used in FS2002 when Real Weather is used?If you configure them, see below...>>I remember reading that FSMeteo will make weather in FS2002 more realistic since it gathers data from more reporting stations so that weather conditions can change more often within FS2002. Is this also true with Real Weather?Yes. Real Weather does not have its own inbuilt weather downloader, but there are plenty available, such as the excellent InfoMETAR. Use this to download the weather, which uses the same sources as FSMeteo anyway, then load the file into Real Weather.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)