Sign in to follow this  
Guest GCBarni

3D Canvas

Guest GCBarni

This is a modeling program from Amabilis with a free version available to get you started, but limited export features; plus a commercial 'pro' version for those who decide to build and export to particular games. Under the list of games which are supported in the pro version, mention is made of flightsim 2002, but not 2004. I wonder if anyone has tried 3D Canvas for FS, and could respond with some comments. Apparently, although a bit of a learning curve, it is considered easier to master than Gmax and might be an alternative to those of us Gmax-challenged designers!

Hi Barney,Interesting tool, but I could not find much info about FS. Their own forums is a bit quite as well, I only found a 2 year old message about FS there.I doubt if it can produce the Fs2004 format though. Until now GMax is the only tool capable to do so. Even other FS object designers like NovaSim or FSDS have not been updated to the new format.On the other hand, I don't see why you want to pay $70 dollars for a tool, when GMax does the same for free. GMax might be a bit hard at first, but with all the tutorials available on the internet (almost) everybody is capable to learn the basics of it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GCBarni

Hey Arno,I was trying to recall the difference between the *.mdl output file for FS2002 and FS2004 because, as long as one has a plugin for the *.mdl format compliant with 3D Canvas, it should work, shouldn't it?I've tried a tutorial with this tool and it is definitely easier to use then Gmax......that's worth 70.00 bucks to me alone! Besides, you can do most anything with the free version....you just can't export. However, this is sufficient to determine one's capabilities compared with their Gmax attempts and decide whether purchasing the full license is a good idea or not. It's not like one is committed to buying the program and then discovering they have no talent and the purchase was a waste of money.FS aside, I actually have another use for it if it proves to be indeed easier: I'm looking at doing some locomotive design for a train simulator called "Trainz". One of the folks in one of their forums swears by the Canvas tool, especially for this kind of work, as opposed to using Gmax. Just like Microsoft, not only does the manufacturer of Trainz support and recommend Gmax as well, it is the tool of choice by most Trainz designers. The reason I asked here about using 3D Canvas with respect to FS was to gauge any reponses from those who may have experience as it applies to FS.

Hi Barney,>I was trying to recall the difference between the *.mdl output>file for FS2002 and FS2004 because, as long as one has a>plugin for the *.mdl format compliant with 3D Canvas, it>should work, shouldn't it?The Fs2002 MDL format (for aircraft) is totally different from the Fs2004 MDL format (for scenery). So maybe if you want to design aircraft it can work, as their is less difference between the Fs2002 and Fs2004 MDL formats for aircraft. But for scenery I seriously doubt if it will work (but maybe someone has tried it and can tell us the real answer :)).>It's not like one is committed to buying the>program and then discovering they have no talent and the>purchase was a waste of money.That's a good point indeed. I did not had that much trouble to master GMax (cost me a few days), so maybe I don't have that much right of talking about it :).>The reason I asked here about using 3D Canvas with>respect to FS was to gauge any reponses from those who may>have experience as it applies to FS.Interesting. I also know Trainz and that it uses GMax. I hope someone has tried Canvas for FS and can tell us more about it. GMax is certainly not optimal for FS design (although it is the best tool around at the moment). There are a lot of options that do nothing for MakeMDL/FS and that is certainly confusing.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GCBarni

>Hi Barney,>Interesting. I also know Trainz and that it uses GMax. I hope>someone has tried Canvas for FS and can tell us more about it.>GMax is certainly not optimal for FS design (although it is>the best tool around at the moment). There are a lot of>options that do nothing for MakeMDL/FS and that is certainly>confusing.Arno,Another good point. I am willing to bet that a lot more FS simmers would become involved with design if there were a viable alternate tool to Gmax. Any that _do_ attempt to give Gmax a go come away with dismay and frustration. Gmax really is over-kill for creating the things most of us like to see in FS. In fact, trying the tutorials alone can be disheartening, even for those with some experience with other tools.Just look at how popular Rwy12 has become; and SceneGenX has a following. Afcad is very popular with a lot of folks. The sticking point with some of the tools that are available is the lack of a compatible plug-in; we need that Mdl(or similar output file) to Bgl link!