Sign in to follow this  
Guest Firestriker

SceneGenX Library Object Problem

Guest FLEX_45

Hi guys,I am trying to build a fence around my airport but I have a problem that I cannot solve no matter what I've tried so far. :-)I am using a gmax created fence, converted as a bgl library object using arno's great library creator xml utility for the object.Then using that GUID I draw a line in my scenery using SceneGenX (Build 34) with the "Create Line of Objects" command and assign the Fence name and GUID. The fence in FS2004 appears ok, BUT it's not repeated continouasly! I have also put the Object spacing to 0 Feet/Meters but still no change! :-(I am attaching a screenshot to give you a better idea of what I am talking about! ;-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/118558.jpgAny help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance,Marios.

You probably can't use the Create a line of objects for placing the fence. You need to set each fence length separately, rotate the heading of the sections to meet each end.I recommend you return to gmax and make several fence lengths. Shez Ansari made fences that we converted to XML/MDL objects. If Shez sees this post, maybe he will post his objects.If not, make various long lengths, I believe Shez used factors of 2, e.g. 64, 32, etc.When you have long lengths, you don't need to do as much mating of the ends.W. Sieffert

Guest FLEX_45

The problem with that though is that if I use gmax to do the full length of the fence I will end up with a huge bgl file....Since I am not so proficient in gmax, can you recommend another way/tool to loop the fence over a distance rather than cloning it over and over thus saving bgl size?ThanksMarios

Guest Firestriker

Marios,Are your fence posts 3d objects or are they part of the texture? If they are part of the texture, simply make a plane and tile the texture. Example: if you have a fence that would run the full length of a 5000' runway and your texture represents a section of fence that is 8' high and 16' long, then make a plane 8' high and 5000' long. When you map the texture, it would be tiled U=312.500 (5000 / 16 = 312.5) and V=1.000 (8 / 8 = 1). Give the material name a DS_ prefix and it will be double sided and set the materials opacity to 99 and it won't cast a shadow. Very simple and is only 4 faces in the sim so it is extremely frame rate friendly. You may have to play with the total lenght due to visibility considerations, but even building them in 100 foot sections is still not bad and that would be 200 faces on a 5000' fence. Actually, I think it would be easier to construct the whole fence in gMax and place it from there, rather than using an intermediate program. If you are worried about working around other objects, simply take a top down screen shot from your reference point in the sim and map it to a plane to represent the plan view. Use a known objects size (like the runways width) and the tape tool to uniform scale this ground plane in gMax. When you export, don't export the ground plane reference. (Hmmm, maybe I should so a tutorial on doing this.)Lou

when you say give it a DS prefix do you mean in the material editor?Gary HayesLevel-D Simulations Development TeamNo im not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.P4 3.0ghz w/HT & FSB..Radeon X850XT 256MB..1 gig PC3200 DDR RAM..Sound Blaster Audigy w/5.1 THX

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Guest Firestriker

Gary,Exactly, the name in the material editor would be like DS_fence or DS_gate for another material that uses the image of a gate for the fence.Lou

Guest FLEX_45

Thanks for the help guys,I finally did it as texture tiling in gmax only. I am quite satisfied with the end result ;-)ThanksMarios

Guest Jos

Hi,A question for Firestriker and others...-----------------quote see higher:The problem with that though is that if I use gmax to do the full length of the fence I will end up with a huge bgl file-----------------The solution was: tile a large plane in order to save frame rates, rather than place the fence parts one by one (a lot of work).As the fence posts are 3D objects I wish to know if I could save a certain space so that I could insert the fence posts later ?This fence post can be made with plines and that will be good too for the frame rates.Greetz. Jos