Sign in to follow this  
Guest Red Eye

Dumb GMax Question

Guest Red Eye

I'm building an air force base (KBKF) and I've got all the buildings, hangers and such built but have one problem I've not been able to figure out.When I fly overhead and look down, I can see the planes inside the hangers through the roof and roof textures. How do I eliminate the transparency of the roof? The transparency is set to 0 for the object and the texture but that didn't correct the situation.I'm sure this is just a newbie question but I haven't been able to locate the simple fix.Thanks in advance.

Hi,It could be that the texture you are using for the roof has an alpha channel. Did you make the texture yourself or are you using a default texture?Another question, are the aircraft you are seeing static models you placed or AI traffic?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Red Eye

Hi Arno. I started with just a simple object and I could see the planes through the roof. So, I made a roof object and applied a standard cement texture. No Joy - I can still see the planes. I made the box properties as zero transparency. I could still see the planes so, I also made the textured roof at 0 transparency. I can still see the planes when I fly over the hangers. Weird.The planes are AI aircraft and I can always tell if they're flying or parked by simply flying over the alert hangers.I've read various tutorials and dozens of forums but this one has me stumped.

Hi RedEye.If you are using the "TopDown" view, your hidden objects may show if your viewport reference is inside the hangar. If that's the case, use the "-" key to zoom out, and the viewport reference should rise above the hangar roof level.Dick

Guest Red Eye

The problem also manifests itself by the roof not casting a shadow on the ground also (4th image). The Sun shines down through the roof and you can see the plane from the sky.Maybe a picture (or 4) would help...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/121441.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/121442.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/121443.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/121444.jpg

It is rather hard to tell from these screenshots what is actually happening (although I can see that it is not correct :)).It seems your total hangar does not cast a shadow, so are you sure the option that scenery objects cast a shadow is turned on?Also are your hangar and roof one object and where is the 0,0 point of GMax located compared to your object?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Red Eye

The XY point is the center of the hanger. Z is the floor. I made it this way so that I could use the AFCAD coords to properly align the parking place, the plane and the hanger together.The roof is a separate 'box' that lays on top of the hanger with a 'cement' type material texture set to be 100% opaque / 0% transparency. Both the material and texture are set to 100% opaque.One thing I thought about was that these alert/storm hangers are very small and the F16 barely fits inside. I was thinking the proximity may have something to do with it.Oops - I had unchecked "scenery casts shadows" and played with it. If the scenery casts shadows, then you can NOT see the planes but if that is off (unchecked), then you can see the planes. You can NOT see the a/c through the doors or the walls -- only the roof.Thanks arno - you may have figured it out. At least, I can get some screen captures of my new KBKF (Buckley AFB, Aurora, CO) base without the planes showing up. Still, opaque should be opaque and you should never see the planes through the roof!Thanks!!!

Guest Firestriker

Have you applied a z_bias to the ground poly?Lou

Guest realwildwobby

whats a z_bias?

>Have you applied a z_bias to the ground poly?Why would that help? I think the aircraft shadow is not visible when the scenery cast shadow, because the shadow of the hangar covers the aircraft shadow. From the screenshots it does not look if there is a ground polygon in the hangars (apart from the AFCAD apron).

Arno

Guest Firestriker

My thought was that if there WAS a z_bias applied some where under the buildings that it was the cause of the problem. Lou

Hi Red Eye.Attaching a zip file to a post is a fairly simple process. Why not zip up the gmax, MDL and textures of your hangar, and then we can have a look.Dick

Guest Red Eye

This particular object does not contain a ground poly. It sets right on the ramp over the a/c.