Sign in to follow this  
arno

Imagetool and mips

Guest JohnC

I can use imagetool to look at and edit the mipmaps in any texture but I cannot figure out how to restore them for use...has anyone successfully done so? One could easily determine at what distance the system flips to a different mip....then I might have a chance of getting rid of Moire effects from my textures with brickwork by blurring the right ones......I am searching the forums but so far I haven't succeeded....

Hi John,What do you mean with restore them for use? All I normally do with ImageTool is just add the mipmaps to a texture.The distance at which the mips are switched has nothing to do with the texture, that is set in your scenery MDL object (with the texture scale).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I suspect what he wants is to create each MIP of a texture separately with a distinctive pattern/color, then add all these MIPs to the base texture, rather than deriving the MIPs from the base texture. That way you could tell which MIP level is being displayed.eg:256x256 red128x128 green, etcscott s..

Hi John.The latest version of Imagetool allows you to extract and save the mips. The largest mip will be named like filename_0.bmpRename the filename_0.bmp to filename.bmp and load to imagetool. The the menu Image...Add Mipmaps, allows you to select mips Filename_1.bmp through filename_n.bmp ( n equals the last mip you are using. )The mips can be saved as TGA, R8, PSD, PPM, BMP and the loaded base image can also be any of these. Just save the final image as what you want. You can also mix 8-bit, 24-bit, DXT1... Imagetool will straighten it all out.Dick

Guest Andy Parton

Is there a command line equivelant for doing this ? I've tried this manually but with a few hundred (or more!) images it's a bit tedious, but I can't seem to get it working via command line. Wondered if anyone had every done it ?Thanks.Andy

Guest JohnC

Thats exactly what I want to do Scott...thanks for rewording it better than I did.

In that case see the reply of Dick. You can add your own mips in ImageTool as he describes.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog