Sign in to follow this  
Guest Horst

Why don't we all build a nice complete application

Guest christian

>Do you think it is possible that MS give us a tool, where you>can convert your existing FS9 bgls and textures, to a new used>format?very much doubt this too. I keep my fingers crossed things don't change too much. If they do, MS might have a problem at their hand - with sceneries like your Misty Fiords and my upcoming New Zealand pack I doubt the avarage simmer is prepared to buy a new version and give up old add-ons if they're not working. Hence I suspect they'll keep things backwards compatible for the next version. My guess is that most new functionality will go into the texture rendering system anyway, ie bump-mapping and the like.Cheers,Christian

Guest christian

sorry, morning blindness! Both names start Ho...Christian

>very much doubt this too. I keep my fingers crossed things>don't change too much. If they do, MS might have a problem at>their hand - with sceneries like your Misty Fiords and my>upcoming New Zealand pack I doubt the avarage simmer is>prepared to buy a new version and give up old add-ons if>they're not working.This is a good point, but you also see a lot of scenery that is still designed with pre Fs2002 techniques. I think at some point MS can say we support the last two version or so and any developer who did not want to invest some time in the new techniques the last year has a problem by now.I think dropping some of these antique commands could improve the sim a lot. And it would also make scenery design easier, as you don't have 10 methods to choose from anymore :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Horst

Yes, but a little speculation should be allowed (and a little bit dreaming myself)Maybe the nice guys from Redmond can have a look to the other stuff their company is doing.http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/...oint/msnve.mspxusing the technique:http://www.pictometry.com/faq.asp#existinggis(sorry could not find a better link, but see the imagery for privacy. 12 directions possible)I do not know the possibility for a game.MS also has nice precise vector data.Maybe the big boss will allow to use also this data for a small FS game.It is also a virtual world, but need more reality (better precise data) to the terrain (controlled local, like an airplane).I know, restriction is the average home PC and the data limit for DVD. But, the systems getting faster for the next period and something like for example more precise mesh data (LOD 10)