Sign in to follow this  
Team_P3DSpacePort

Far-away scenery

Does anyone know what controls the display/color of the very-far scenery? If you are in a map mode (SHIFT-SQUAREBRACKET), if zoomed out sufficiently, there is scenery directly below your position displayed using the current textures. Then, at some distance, there is a "pseudo" scenery. This scenery looks as if it is only a single, overall color of the landclass element, with a bit of a blur added. If you zoom out further, you'd get the map of the Earth, which is a 2-piece texture.I radically changed the color of some of the stock ground landclass textures (as an experiment), but now, when far in the distance (or in the map mode), the color of the "very far" texture is drastically different than the actual texture. Does anyone know what controls this and how to change it?Thanks in advance,Misho

P3D SpacePort Team

As a follow up:I noticed that if the terrain texture should for some reason be unrenderable (as in, missing or wrong format), it shows up as a block in plain color. Does someone know where is that color defined?

P3D SpacePort Team

Hi Misho,You got my attention now :). But I did not reply yet to this thread because I don't really have an idea how FS determines those colors. It is clear that you get the landclass texture when you are close and when you are zoomed out far you get to see the texture of the whole earth.I guess it must have stored a alternative color for the landclass textures, in case they fail. But I have no idea where this information is stored. I expect it to be in the scenerybasescenery folder, so maybe (just guessing) it is in the lclookup.bgl file.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks Arno! I was suspecting this all along. I looked at all the posts concerning lclookup.bgl, and I looked at the file itself, and i can't seem to recognize anything familiar. I'll put this to a back burner for now. Misho

P3D SpacePort Team