Sign in to follow this  
arno

Suppressing shadows of transparent objects

Guest cwright

Lou, that's brilliant! Thank you very much. I installed the bus and AutoAsm quickly spewed out lots of them. http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/lou_bus.jpg Now I'll go through it and see if I can reproduce your method. Many thanks. Best regards, Chris

Guest Firestriker

Chris,Great!!! I'll see if I can put together a couple more to add some color and variety. :)Lou

Hi Chris,I see some hope :).In your ASM code I see a SHADOW_VICALL command. Could you try to comment that out for the moment? If that removes your total shadow, then you can use a different shadow model for your bus. If that does not help, I think the shadow is generated beyond our control.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest cwright

Lou, Success! At first it looked pretty complicated and I was going to ask you about something I didn't understand. But then I had a thought. Part of the process was adding the three lines of code to the xxxx_0.asm to create the time of day condition. I wondered if it would work if that was all I did. And it worked! So my procedure is:1. Create the object with gmax, with keep files enabled.2. Add Dick's code at the start of xxx_0.asm3. Add your three lines of code to xxxx_0.asm for the time of day condition.4. Create the library with fsregen.5. Have a good curse when those ***&&&!!! shadows still appear in Flight Simulator. I'm happy to report that Step 5 is not required. The car has a shadow but not the headlight plane. Here are the results: http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/dyn_11.jpg http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/dyn_10.jpg Lou, thank you very much for this. I'll buy you a virtual beer. Whet's more, I'll even drink it for you! Best regards, Chris

Hi All.As an aside, we can have defined shadows in dynamic code.Arno wanted to know whether shadows can be defined separately from the object shape in dynamic objects. The answer is yes.Here's "Dynamic_Shadow_Test.asm", which defines one dynamic library object using "Dynamic_Shadow_Test_0.asm" as the object and "Dynamic_Shadow_Test_1.asm" as the shadow. Any *_0.asm output from Gmax/MakeMDL FS2002 should work. The scale is assumed as 0.5 standard FS2002 Gmax output. That translates to 15 in the Super_Scale command... this object being a "radius" of 41... equaling 82 for that command. By "radius", I mean that it more accurately describes diameter.... the size of a box that would hold the object.This is a dynamic sphere that has a cube's shadow:

library_header label word	dw  0001	dd   000A00000h	; North Bound	dd   0FF600000h	; South Bound	dd   000000000h	; East Bound	dd   0FFFFFFFFh	; West Bound	dw  22 dup(0)	dd  library_data - library_header	dw  10 dup(0)	dd  0D1FABE9Fh, 0C1004AC4h	dd  0D1FABE9Fh, 0C1004AC4h	dw  13 dup(0)library_data label word; =================================================================; Library List:rel_base = $	LIBRARY_OBJECT_PTR   library_start_0000, 0D1FABE9Fh, 0C1004AC4h, 0A55C8B9Dh, 0020586BEh		dd  (offset library_end_0000); =================================================================library_start_0000 label word	BGL_LIBRARY_OBJECT  0D1FABE9Fh, 0C1004AC4h, 0A55C8B9Dh, 0020586BEh, 100, 0, 1024, 2, 0, library_end_0000, 'Dyn_Shadow'	   Draw_ShadowSetup0 label word			SHADOW_VPOSITION 0	   			SUPER_SCALE Return_ShadowSetUp0, 10000, 82, 15;; V1, V2, SCALE			SHADOW_VICALL32 Draw_Shadow0, 18h		Return_ShadowSetUp0 label word		Draw_ObjectSetup0 label word			VPOSITION Return_ObjectSetUp0, 0, 0, 0			SUPER_SCALE Return_ObjectSetUp0, 10000, 82, 15;; V1, V2, SCALE			VINSTANCE_CALL Draw_Object0, 18h			SETWRD 2Ch, 41;; SIZE		Return_ObjectSetUp0 label word			BGL_RETURN	Draw_Object0 label word		include Dynamic_Shadow_Test_0.asm	Draw_Shadow0 label word		include Dynamic_Shadow_Test_1.asmlibrary_end_0000 label word; =================================================================EOF

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/122719.jpgDick

Guest cwright

Arno, thanks for the suggestion. It certainly got rid of the shadow. Unfortunately it got rid of the object as well! (i.e. nothing appeared). Happily Lou's time of day suggestion works nicely. Best regards, Chris

See the post of Dick above. He solved your problem :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog