Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

Orientation and resolution, etc.

Guest Jos

Hi,I am texturing an apron (in Airport for Windows 2.6) and I see that the beton plates are not aligned with the apron border. As I cannot rotate the texture to the right heading, I assume that I must use another way such as GMAX to do the job. Texturing a plane... but how to scale so that the image doesn't deform (has the right resolution)?As this apron texture has also a night texture (xyz_LM bitmap): simply put this file in de texture map ?And that's not all...Have to draw taxilines (also with night texture). I think it is best to do it with PSP... and what about the dimension of the apron ? Or can I draw a taxiline in GMAX ? ... with arc setting for the corners ? Apron = 615 meters x 230 meters. How to assemble this all ?A lot of questions.. Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,>I am texturing an apron (in Airport for Windows 2.6) and I see>that the beton plates are not aligned with the apron border.>As I cannot rotate the texture to the right heading, I assume>that I must use another way such as GMAX to do the job.>Texturing a plane... but how to scale so that the image>doesn't deform (has the right resolution)?Yes, most tools do not allow you to map your texture exactly. Only GroundMaker has that option (but then only for non-repeating textures).So if you want total control over the mapping of the texture, a tool like GMax is indeed best (with some source tweaks to make real ground polygons of the output of course).During the mapping in GMax you can determine how many times it is repeated along both axis. So by choosing the correct values there, you should be able to get an non-deformed image.>As this apron texture has also a night texture (xyz_LM>bitmap): simply put this file in de texture map ?Yes and of course tell GMax to use that night texture. This can be done with the option in MakeMDL or by setting the material properties correct.The first method is best if all textures in a scene need a night texture. The last works better if only some need a night texture.>And that's not all...>Have to draw taxilines (also with night texture). I think it>is best to do it with PSP... and what about the dimension of>the apron ? Or can I draw a taxiline in GMAX ? ... with arc>setting for the corners ? Apron = 615 meters x 230 meters. How>to assemble this all ?Drawing the taxilines in the texture is not a great idea if you ask me. Even at a high resolution of 1 meter per pixel, they still look very ugly while you taxi on them.I prefer to use small roads for my taximarkings. Or if you only have yellow markings you could also use the TaxiMarking function that AFW should also have.You can also draw the lines in GMax, but you will have to contruct them as polygons in that case. So in general it is more work (but it is possible).Arno

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,Thanks for the detailed info. An apron is too important for treating it as a minor item in the whole airport. So, I hope to achieve a little peace of Art, h

Guest Jos

Hi,So I made a plane and executed the UVWMapping for an apron texturing. It looked good. However a few problems:1. de plane is flashing and this disappears when I set the plane a little bit higher (otherwise you see the plane is floating). This is very critical (the setting must be perfect) because there are also lightposts casting the light on the apron. I do this by hand (move tool), but can it be done by set a value somewhere ?2. It's hard positioning.3. My aircraft doesn't cast a shadow on this plane/apron.Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,For point 1 and 3, you need to tweak the GMax output to become real ground polygons. Have a look at this article:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92For point 2, there is not much that can be done about this. If you want to use GMax for the ground polygons you will always have some trouble with the positioning. It could be made easier if you use your background image in GMax as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,I will use only a GMAX ground poly in order to align the beton plates with the border of the apron. It looks more realistic. Hope the tweak is satisfying.Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,Thanks. I just tested the tweak and it looks great !Now the positioning on the apron... and then the taxilines...Greetz. Jos