Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Flattening an airport...

Guest Cameron

Ok, so...I have tried to flatten an airport with FSTflatten. Seems to work except for one problem...the flattened area is sunk below the surface at about 50-100 ft. beneath my normal custom scenery. In FS before flattening it says the runway is at 100.7 ft, so this is what I enter and convert to meters in FSTflatten. Am I doing something wrong? Must be?Is there an easier way to go about flattening?

Hello Cameron,Airport elevation is determined by a reference altitude in the airport bgl - this determines the elevation for the runways, taxiways, and aprons (and also for the AI aircraft.) But, there is also a large flatten polygon that covers the entire area of the airport skirting and that ensures that the surrounding terrain is at the same elevation as the airport reference altitude.Usually, these two altitudes are the same, although sometimes minor variations will display aircraft tires slightly above or below airport surfaces.You would have to be more specific in the information concerning your airport; - does your flatten cover the entire airport skirting or only part of the surface? - what altitude in meters did you use for the flatten? - just out of curiosity, what airport is it? - images always help to understand the problem, please not too largeBest regards.Luis