Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

API question with Airport 3

Guest Jos

Hi,Made an API (from GMAX 1.2 with FSRegen /run FS2002) and use it with Airport for Windows 2.6. No problem.Coming to the fact that I can draw lines much easier than with FSSC and have more possibilities... I decided to use Airport for Windows 3. But a few problems occurs.1. The API's are showing up (in AFW 3), but I have the impression working in another dimension: when they are set on the right position, they are far from the spot you should expext. I cannot work under these condition, I have to trust my background image.2. When I test the lines (using this AFW 3): especially the hold short line... they appear right on the apron made with GMAX, but not elsewhere (other disc without AFW 3). I must find the texture file... difficult (no names but numbers).Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,Have meanwhile found the taximarks_sdk FS2002... but al lot blabla and nothing practical. An example maybe would do wonders. And explaining how to would be nice.Greetz. Jos

Guest Tony_A

Hi Jose, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. I use a combination of Ground2K4 to change the outline of the airport and move roads, railways and creeks/rivers : AFCAD2 to change runways and taxiways (and occassionaly put in roads) and Airport 3 to place APIs (buildings, vehicles etc.) If you are working on taxiways including markings and positions of hold-short points, I recommend using AFCAD2 for this part of your project. You say that you have to rely on your background bitmap in Airport and you are quite right but you have to make sure that this is in the correct position and at the correct scale. When I'm working on an existing FS9 airport, I use a screen shot of the FS9 airport as a back ground map then in Airport add a runway of the same dimensions, position and alignment as the default airport and then in Airport resize and move the background image to fit the runway size and position. Once this is set up I find that I can place APIs very close to the position needed and then just tweak the position a bit to get them right. I have installed the paid version of FSUIPC which gives you an exact position in Airport and makes it all quite alot easier.... Tony

Guest Jos

Hi,Thanks for your reply. But I am working with FS2002 and use normally AFW 2.6. I thought AFW version 3 was still for FS2002 and SceneGenX for FS9.As I am not entended to buy FS9 and this airport must be for FS2002 and FS2004... I had to use these software compatible with both FS.I try now to make the lines with AFW 3 and then add the self made API's with AFW 2.6 (the downloaded taxi edge API works normal). It is not so difficult, but a lot of work to make it right. Problem is also the value of the arc: limited to 10 meters... but I fear that is not enough to make a smooth large arc as in reality on an apron.I will look also if I can do something with the codes from the sdk, especially to make a hold short line.It's also pitty that I cannot draw white lines... the default is yellow.I saw in an airport scenery bitmaps with parts of taxiline configurations... but how to texture a part of an apron ?Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,I think AFW should allow you to place the taximarkings as well. There is no need to work with the code from the SDK directly (if I remember correct there are even some faults in that SDK).How did you place the lines that did not appear correct? Are you using small roads there?About the API macros. The reference point is the 0,0 point in GMax. So you must be sure that your objects is centered around that object. If that is true, it could be that your airport symbol is not defined correct.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,In AFW 2.6 is only the possibility to draw "Lines" (no other choice) + 3D objects line.In AFW 3 there is:a. Lines (day and night colors + dots spacing);b. Taxiway centerline (a thin line);c. Taxiway edge line (double + radius setting) + choice for First and Second line: Solid or Dashed;d. ILS hold line;e. Runway hold line;f. 3D objects line.So I use Taxiway edge lines (who appear on the other disc as one solid line).Yes... I red that too about the SDK.Perhaps there is an interference about the same scale. I hope I can check that.Greetz. Jos

Hi Jose,I think option b to e are the TaxiMarkngs as described in the SDK. So AFW gives you an interface to draw them :).And what do you mean with appear on the other disc as solid? Are you using two versions of FS?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,Using FS2002 with XP Pro... no difference at all.Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,I looked in GMAX to the three files I made an API from with FSRegen. The items are all out of the center. If I knew that was crucial for a correct display...There is another thing: the API-icon is very large... but I had the same with a downloaded aircraft carrier who was made with a program of later/more recent version.But that doesn't explain why the lines are displayed different... simply not compatible with FS2002 ?So I am working further, h

Hi Jose,>I looked in GMAX to the three files I made an API from with>FSRegen. The items are all out of the center. If I knew that>was crucial for a correct display...So you mean that they are already offset in GMax? Then it would be better to move them to the 0,0 point, as that is the location you set the lat/lon of.>There is another thing: the API-icon is very large... but I>had the same with a downloaded aircraft carrier who was made>with a program of later/more recent version.FsRegen sets the icon to a bounding box that fits around your object. But if you want you can tweak the icon yourself. On my website there is a little article that describes how you can do this.>But that doesn't explain why the lines are displayed>different... simply not compatible with FS2002 ?They are a new feature of Fs2002, so they should work fine :). What layer are you using for them?

Arno

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,These API's are litepoles and I fear that it will be very difficult to move them... but I will try. There are only three of them (with two lights, with three lights and a variation of the pylon: red-white and a grey painted one).Layer 20 is used in both AFW.I was entented to make the taxilines in AFW 3 (radius set) and put the .bgl as an apart file in the scenery map. The rest of the airport in the main .bgl. I did it with a file made with FSSC but the lines are difficult to draw and gives sometimes an ugly result.What is the name of the tutorial ? I didn't found it at first sight.Greetz. Jos