Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dasher7

Wakes not Displaying

I hope someone can help me figure out why the wakes on the ships in the addon package named coastalship1.zip (here at Avsim) do not display. All I get is the white rectangle which suggests a missing texture.This is a FS2002 addon that worked well for me in FS2004 until I did a clean reinstall of FS2004. The ships display properly but not the wakes. A fellow simmer tells me they do not display in FS2002 now either.There are three wake texture files in the package and I have tried everything I can think of to no avail.This package is reommended by Holger in his Glacier Mesh add-on and I am positive I had it working properly before.Any ideas? There is a thread about this in the general discussion forum if you want to see what has been discussed to date.Thanks in advance.

I forgot to add that an easy test of this is to install it, then go to the Juneau Alaska airport. A vessel with the wake problem is located just South of the airport in the channel going towards the Juneau Harbor location - you can't miss it.

Hi David,It might be useful to check the format of these wake textures. Fs2004 is more picky with some of the old formats. So it might be an idea to convert them to DXT textures and see if that helps (be sure to keep the transparancy).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I tried that (but am not totally convinced I did it correctly) and saw no difference.In the meantime I did get an e-mail from Mr. Burger (the original author). He says he has stopped all development work and in fact has lost all the original files during a HD format. He further stated that he was aware of this problem and hoped someone else would continue working on the "coastal shipping" idea.So hopefully someone with a whole lot more "smarts" than I will do just that so we can all enjoy seeing ships (with wakes) plying the waterways of Alaska and Canada.

Hi David,I had a quick look and it seems the texture wake.bmp is missing. Most of the ships use the three other wake textures that are there, but I found some that use this texture (also the one you mentioned).Also there was some bleedthrough of the weak, as it seems they did not have a LayerCall command. Could be quite some work to fix that without having the source of the macros (I took a look at a decompiled source now).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Well that may explain why it worked for me before the clean reinstall. I must have picked up a texture from some other addition that was what the coastal ships was looking for. Part of the reason for the reinstall was a perceived problem with some other textures so I did not back them up for reinstallation.Thanks for your efforts.

Guest Charlie Hall

David,Just a crazy idea but why not copy one of the textures and rename the copy wake.bmp (so you keep the original 3 and add a new one) then see what happens? It may display wrong (hopefully not as a white area) but at least would prove if a file is missing.

I just tried something similiar - found a set of ships for FS2002 that had a "wake.bmp" as a texture. Put it in with the coastal textures and it DID provide a wake - mismatched but a wake nevertheless. This was on the ship just South of Juneau. The one a few miles further South was not affected.I guess this does prove that at least one texture file is missing - not sure about the other ship though.Thanks for the idea.

Guest Charlie Hall

If you're sure you had it working without issues before then you must have had another addon that placed suitably named textures in the main texture folder, since I can't imagine any other addon would place textures in this scenery folder. So maybe you need to find what that addon was and install it.

That is what I was thinking too. I have nearly everything back in place but no cigar as yet.Probably should just forget it and hope someone will create a ship library for RWY12 that has wakes on some if not all of the ships. Then I could place them myself. The ship libraies so far assume the ship is dead in the water and that looks a little strange out on the open sea.

One of our guys found that after a fresh install of FS9 a wake related (and obviously named) bmp texture was located in FS9Effects instead of FS9EffectsTextures for some reason. Might want to check that, and if that doesn't help, I'll see if I can find the thread on our forums, David - It was Dexter Thomas who had the same problem you describe...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Not the case here Scott - the "missing" texture(s) came that way in the original file download. It was developed for FS2002 but I had no problem with it in FS2004 until the reinstall.Thanks for the idea though.

Guest Dasher7

Ups, didn't see the discussion had continued here, so this is just a copy of what I wrote in the general discussion forum:Ok, got it...The blg was referring to a wake.bmp that doesn't exist in the download! I think there was a default "wake.bmp" in FS2K2 and thus this addon refers to that file. Probably.Anyway, simply put a wake.bmp in the main texture folder, that should catch all those old ones :) For a wake I used the one that came with Daniel Gauthier's Switzerland scenery (A MUST HAVE). It fits very well, although that Juneau destroyer looks dangerously close to doing an Exxon Valdez with that oxygen trail...By the way, for anyone installing the Swiss scenery: YES you can dump all the separate airport files into the same folder! They share textures and this will save you time and space.Hope this helped "Opa"!-Dasher7

I downloaded the base texture file from the Swiss collection and used the wake.bmp as suggested.That DID restore the wake of the cruiser close to Juneau airport (although it appears he is exceeding the speed limit judging by the size of the wake). However it did nothing for the other ship that is several miles further south. I have not checked into the other locations to see which, if any, work properly.Thanks so much for your help and ideas.

Guest Dasher7

Glad I could help!Well, I did't fly that far so that was the only one I noticed ;(Anyway, at least we now what is going on. Do you have the "astrail*.bmp" somewhere in your addons? That could be a good one to have since, as I remember, several 2K2 boats used that one. I'll certainly fly the area tonight if I get a chance to check it out. Nice addon by the way, ships do give that "real" look to an area, although, yeah, that destroyer needs to go reverse thrust immediatly :)Talk to ya'-Dasher7