Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tony_A

Night Textures

Guest statto

Is there any good tool for creating a nighttime texture for scenery and buildings? And how would you do it in Fireworks/PSP?Thanks

Guest Jos

Hi,I do the nighttextures with PSP.Select your image and make a backup: xyz.bmp. Then open one file in PSP.Then Menu / Effects / Lighting effects and choose lamps (the other item is sun). You will see two little screens: before and after the manipulation. Via setting for darkness (you will see the image at the right become darker). At 60% it will be already a workable night image (you must experiment). Then you can save it as: xyz_LM.bmp (not as a PSP-file).After that convert both images to a 8-bit image and put it in TEXTURE of your FS.This is for a full texture. You can use also parts, such as needed for lighted windows. Search via Google.On the Net are tutorials available for nighttexturing buildings.For the rest I do not know (yet).Greetz. Jos

best way is to take your day texture, add a layer of all black. Then you can draw on lights or splashes and actually see it.Gary HayesLevel-D Simulations Development TeamNo im not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.P4 3.0ghz w/HT & FSB..Radeon X850XT 256MB..1 gig PC3200 DDR RAM..Sound Blaster Audigy w/5.1 THX

Gary Hayes

My Youtube

No i'm not a "real" pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Guest statto

I actually tried downloading the 'GIMP' and so far it's serving my purpose well enough to the point where I am going to be able to include night scenery.I first take my photoreal picture and save it as 'nite'. I then darken it 4-5 times then use the 'Sparks' brush under dodge/burn, which gives you random 'lighting' effects, and it has worked well so far.

Guest Tony_A

I use an old version of PSP (V5.03) so things may be in different menus in later versions. What I do is make my day texture thenFrom menu 'Window' click on Duplicate which gives an exact copy of the original textureUse the 'Magic Wand' tool holding down the shift key to select all the background areas.From menu 'Selection' click on Invert so changes dont affect the background.From menu 'Colors' click on Adjust Brightness/Contrast then turn the contrast down (around -56 or so) and brightness down (around -12 to -16)These setting depend on the bitmap you are using but you can see your changes in preview. Then I just use the Rectangle Shpe tool to add either very light yellow or blue windows and save the bitmap as a *_LM.bmp of the day texture. Tony