Sign in to follow this  
arno

Bumpy taxiways and apron

Guest Jos

Hi,Since a short time I realise that my taxiways and apron became a little bit bumpy. I checked the situation on another airport I made for testing files, and there is no problem at all.I suppose that I better rebuild the airport, but I like to know what the reason could be for this bumpy thing.Must say that I use Airport for Windows 2.6 (on disc 2) and using recently AFW 3 (on disc 1) and running FS2002. Perhaps I may not mix up the .apt's.I decided that I only will use AFW 2.6 + GMAX + Groundmaker.Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,Have found a solution... but is this not a sort of hocus pocus ?Set over the polygon an invisible runway and my Cessna taxi now very smoothly over the apron. Rest to cover also all the taxiways and other aprons, h

Hi Jose,This is a known "feature" of Fs2002.It can indeed be solved by an invisible runway or by adding a SurfaceType command (I think AFW also has that option).Another option is to use the Bumpy tool I made. This will allow you to keep the grass bumpy and only make your aprons smooth.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jos

Hi Arno,Found the Bumpy tweak at www.scenerydesign.org under "gmax_tips" (of course written by you)... I try it tomorrow.However on a site I could not be linked to the last item in PDF nor in zipped file (got an error message). Then on www.scenerydesign.org/forum I found the download file bumpy.zip, h

Arno,Did you ever get to check the BUMPY effect on excluding 3d scenery? Remember I wrote a forum message about it a while back? I found the BUMPY created file was acting as an exclude for surrounding default scenery and autogen too.ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest Jos

Hi,I remember your topic. As I have not yet used the tool... I experienced not the effect.Strange that suddenly ways become bumpy (must say that I use AFW 2.6 and for a week AFW 3... and perhaps this was the reason of getting mixed and getting bumpy, who knows ?).For what the surroundings concerns... it will depend of the frame rates I have when everything is set on his place. To put trees, houses or even realistic photoscenery... that's for the future.At the end of the runway is a shopping center (a lot of buildings to draw... even simple, it will have an effect on the frame rates); and at the other side a bib road and also a shopping center, h

Hi Shez,No, I must say that I never got the time to really test that deeply. But I never had the problem in my own sceneries.As I have moved to the Fs2004 techniques now, I am not using Bumpy anymore. So I don't expect that I will find some time soon to do some good testing.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks Arno, no worries. BTW may I ask which FS2004 techniques you are using now?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Mainly the XML things. If you make your taxiways with that, they are smooth by default.

Arno

Hello Arno and everyone else :)I use Thomas Kwong's old Kai Tak Scenery, and I followed the installation instructions to the letter. I added the "flatten" command in the scenery.cfg, but certain areas of the apron are bumpy :(. I tried to use FSSC to create an invisible runway, but the bumps are still there :(Does anyone know of a fix? I still use FS2002, and Thomas Kwong probably won't fix the problem ... the scenery is quite old!Thanks!