Sign in to follow this  
Guest DLM9000

Ground Texture Question

Guest DLM9000

Can I convert my ground textures to DXT3 (using the image tool batch command), and if I can, would there be any performance benefit to doing it? (I am using add on textures.)I am not a scenery person, although I have been able to add an aid here and change a light effect there.Thanks for letting me ask this question in such fine company.Dennis

Guest artmartin

Only real advantage of DXT3 over DXT1 that I know of is the ability to do partial transparencies and I can't see the need for those on ground textures. Only time I use the alpha channel for ground textures is for letting water show through totally. Other than that I think the DXT3 file size is larger than the same size DXT1.Art

Guest DLM9000

I have the FSCENE textures (and I like them). Do you know what format these are in, and if they are true bmps, can I (or should I)convert them to DXT3s for a performance boost?Dennis

Hello Dennis,Ground textures, including the FSScene textures, are in DXT1 format. This has a .bmp extension. You can try viewing the files in your favorite image editing program. If nothing is displayed, then they are already in DXT1, and do not need to be converted.Generally, we do not use DXT3 in scenery. It is pretty much reserved for aircraft, where partial transparencies are required.Best regards.Luis

Guest DLM9000

Thanks very much. IF the ground textures are in DXT1 format, there is no need to batch convert them. I was looking to improve the performance of gorund textures loading. I just did a fresh build and want to do all I can to the 'environment' prior to adding add-on aircraft.Dennis