Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

Community effort - need land classers...

I'd like to extend an invitation to the community here: If someone is willing to do the land class for somewhere in the USA, I'd be willing to do the water scenery as we've done for new england. There are a few caveats:The project must be FREEWARE!It must encompass an entire LOD5 - I won't be able to make patched default scenery if the request list gets long...I'd like the final product to be called FREEflow where ever, and we'd like to be listed as authors and be allowed to distibute the scenery on our website (as well as AVSIM or others).If others wish to work on the same area, a team effort is expected.You must be pretty well versed in land class work - we can offer some help, but we've got projects of our own on the go (you have seen the bermuda pix in the screenshots forum, right?)Please see the thread in our "Development suggestions" forum (click my sig) or post a new request there or in the "Shop talk" forum.Only requests for areas we're working on will be denied :-smooch !All files will be distributed via our website...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi Scott,that's a great idea and I hope you'll find people interested in this project. In my opinion, accurate landclass files are at least as important as base mesh, roads, or land/water files.Add-on landclass doesn't necessarily have to be done manually though I've found that any of the available land use source data don't provide the detail necessary for improving on the default landclass (plus automated approaches require acces to and knowledge of GIS software).For all of my landclass projects I've been using free Landsat satellite imagery as a base and I'd be happy to share more information and knowledge about that approach (actually, most of what I know is already posted here in th forum).However, with a manual approach your request of "an entire LOD5" is a VERY tall order. There are 64 LOD8 Cells in a LOD5 section and 32x32 LOD13 grid nodes in each LOD8 Cell. Each node defines one landclass value so an entire LOD5 requires 65,536 landclass placements; that's a lot of double-clicks with the mouse ;-) Even my biggest projects have not made it past 1/3 of a LOD5 section (using lots of tricks to avoid having to define each individual LOD13 node) and it takes me about 3-4 hours to do a good job on a LOD8 Cell. Nevertheless, it IS great fun and VERY INSPIRING to see a realistic land use distribution emerge from the bland default (or, usually only marginally better, existing third-party addons) and I'd encourage people to contribute, even if they can only do parts of a LOD5 section at once.Cheers, Holger

Good points, Holger. I can say this - the water I do will be for an entire LOD5 - really the only parts that NEED to be land classed would be the holes that are missing from MS's land class...though given the resources available these days, from google earth to world wind, accurate land class is not hard, just time consuming...Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)