Sign in to follow this  
Guest artmartin

Website hosting suggestions

Guest artmartin

Hi all. Just got high speed internet access the other day and the next step in the start towards going commercial with the scenery package I'm working on is creating a business website. I'd like to make my package available for download over the internet and it's nearly 300 mb in size so obviously I need a host site capable of holding many mb of data as well as a large bandwidth for uploading and downloading. My intent all along with this project was not to go into this business as a means to put food on my family table. I already have a job for that. I only desire to have enough income to cover costs and compensate for my time and effort (and keep my family happy). Since this venture has no assurance or desire of great profits, I can't saddle myself with a huge monthly website hosting bill. The early months of the business website won't even have a product available but only marketing, a forum, and a possible demo product so there will be essentially no income for some time. Here's my question then, especially to other scenery designers that maintain a site where they sell or distribute a product freely. What should I expect to pay monthly for a site that will meet my needs and the needs of my customer? Also, do you have any recommendations of hosting services that you've worked with in the past? My early research has shown wide diversity of pricing for essentially the same product. Often the lower priced sites even exceed the higher priced ones in terms of storage space and bandwidth. Art

Guest artmartin

Well I hate responding to my own posts but might have to bump this back to the top for it to get read again. Really need suggestions to make the next move.Art

Talk to server101.com. I haven't tried distributing much from my site etc., but they are inexpensive and provide great service. I have several sites hosted by them.Jon

Hi,I host a VA at Brinkster (http://www.brinkster.com)You can opt for PHP or ASP.NET and they are not expensive.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest artmartin

Boy, their rates are very good. Thanks.Art