Sign in to follow this  
Guest briandavidn

Merging BMPs ??

Does anyone have a method of merging BMPs that overlap slightly? I have Paint Shop Pro.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest phpdk

Hi Dick,PSP is really good, but for merging I use Photoshop. I am the lucky owner of pretty old, free version: Photoshop Elements 1.0 (I got it bundled with some desk drive as far as I remember). I works perfectly.Peter

Guest Jos

Hi,I saw via Google: "PSP 7 merging BMP" some tutorials. Maybe you find what you are looking for... but do mention the version of PSP.Greetz. Jos

Guest phpdk

Hi Dick,After given it some thoughts: I think the word to look for is "stitching ". (I guess you are downloading arial photos to use for ground polys or something like that). Try searching the PSP online help. There is a (manual) method it seems.Try a google for: "stitching images" freewareThere might be some possibilities. I'll stick with Photoshop Elements for this purpose.Peter

Thanks for tips but it seems that stitiching is really as it implies - application of decorative threads. Looking at both Photoshop 7 and Paint Shop Pro 8 shows a very complex set of options that are as complex as Flight Simmulator. Another learning curve.My task is to merge two BMPs at their edges. These edges overlap by a small amount to "hopefully" insure that there is no apparent gap. I have tried merging in both programs but I cannot seem to produce, or at least find, the result - a merged final BMP. I set the two BMPs as two different layers and have tried merge flatten and other variations with no results. I expected to see a third layer, or some composite, appear when I did this. I have a PSP9 manual which seems to align with the functions in PSP8 but no luck yet. Dick Boley @KLBEStiched bootshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/125034.gif

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest phpdk

Well Dick what a nice pair of boots. So you got something out of the search :-) On my (free) Photoshop Elements the word is photomerge, File --> Photomerge. It works automatically and intutitively. A pity if that fine tools has been discontinued in the upgraded version of the tool.Otherwise try this link (which I found doing the google I mentioned):http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/kasmith/res...itch/stitch.htmPeter

Guest briandavidn

Hello, Dick.It has taken me an age to sort out the login/cookie situation, so sorry for the late reply.I use PSP7 in the following way:1. Open 'new' file2.Open first bmp (which will then appear on top of the checquered canvas). BTW after 'new' , set a size in pixels which will be big enough to accommodate your bmps.3.'Select'the portion (or all) of your bmp you wish to include (ie. this way you exclude the frame around your opened bmp).4. 'Edit' and 'copy'5.Close the bmp without saving changes.6.'Edit' and 'paste as new layer'7. Use 'mover' tool to move map around wherever you wish.8. Repeat process for each succeeding bmp.9. When all the bmps are positioned, 'save as' a psp or bmp or other format.I am sure there are other ways to do this and I see that you have already had some success but the above method works very well for me and gives good control over the positioning of the overlaps. I have not found any limitation on the permissable degree of overlap so aerial photos downloaded do not have to be carefully selected.I hope the above helps.Best regardsBrian Nelson