Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jos

Fence configuration problem

Guest Jos

Hi,This time I want to setup an own fence.Anybody an idea what's going wrong ? Have read a lot and I am stucked completely.Questions:1. Made in PSP an image of a fence: see screenshot (black fence on a white background, or... (white fence on a black background... and what about if I want a black colored fence ?);2. In DXTBmp I loaded this image and put into the Alpha Channel right screen a negative of this fence image... OK ?3. Save as Extended Bitmap in DXT3 format... or as Targa with Alpha ?4. I transform this file into an 8-bit file and put it in GMAX.5. What do I put in FS / Addon Scenery / Texture map ?6. What have I missed ?8. I get a plane that is not double-sided textured, even if I use ds_fence or mark "2 sides" in the Material Editor of GMAX.Please help. Jos

Guest abent

Just thinking out loud here...What happens if you convert your object into an editable poly, extrude it by "0" and cap it? Just an idea. I suppose I should try it myself before suggesting it. If that does not work, I know a guy from Flight Ontario that overcame this problem.Is your fence completely invisible from the opposite side?Good Luck, Adam

Guest Jos

Hi,Yes, it's invisible at the other side.Another thing: according to the file 'fencen_n_post" (available on AVSIM) there is a file in dxt-format you have to change into a bmp (simply by renaming it) and put it in FS. I am searching how to make such file (with another icon than a bitmap one)... which program should I use ? Maybe... ?Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,Surprise...This morning I said by myself: let's place this bad fence on his place... nobody will see the problem. And then, I saw that the fence was normally set and the aircraft passes trough without the ugly display. Before this fence stood nearby hangars. They are setup with the loft technique: are they the guilty ones ?So, a lot of time wasted and sleepless nights.Two more questions however: 1. can I let cast the fence shadow as a 3D model does (sunlight going through and let see all the details ?). Second: how to give this fence another color (such as the 3D model nearby = black) ?At least a good begin for the week, h

Guest Jos

Hi,Sorry to say: after setting up a fence row, I see that the problem is back. Only one fence is OK, the rest is displayed as shown before. Strange.I have although setup this row and hope one day to solve the problem. Nobody will taxi trough a fence for pleasure... hope so, h

Guest Jos

Hi,Have found the solution. It is not always well explained, but at last I can now end this episode and continue to build my airport Ostend Intl. (EBOS).Greetz. Jos

Guest Jos

Hi,Important: I have experimented and found out that it is better to save the file from DXTBmp into an Extended Bitmap - DXT1 format with Alpha Channel instead a DXT3 (certainly in this case because in one direction view the aircraft could not be seen until it was some distance away... it was also "unstable". And as I red some items mentionning problems with displaying images in a DXT3 format... I decided to test it... the result was convincing.Greetz. Jos