Sign in to follow this  
Guest ps76

2xSlartibartfast making water questions.

Guest ps76

HiJust had a couple of questions on Slartibartfast which I've just been trying and have found very powerful.1. Is there any paint program (preferably freeware or payware with a trial) where I can paint 16-bit grayscale bitmaps (ie. with full palette of 63356 available). I have trial Photoshop and PhotoImpact which both load/save the format but only seem to have 256 shades in the palette. When trying to make a manual lake watermap for now I'm putting in arbitrary values & then having to manually change them all in the .bgs file before the final compile..2. I've used the 'make water from only mesh' facility to make ocean coasts & it works good because I finally get a mesh with no big cliffs. Would like to do this for lakes too but is there any way to do this for more than one lake at a time? Would be great if I could get the program to read 16-bit values from the watermap as 'sea level'/'water level' for each of the lakes I'm doing & then make lakes from the mesh for each of these at the heights requested. Or could I do this editing the .bgs file somehow?Thanks for any helpP.

Not sure, but GIMP might do it for you...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest ps76

HiGIMP so far behaves like the others (although it's free making it relatively better!). Trying to paint the watermap manually is crazy like this because every 1xpixel increase moves up 256m elevation!If only my waterbodies would exactly meet the mesh in this unforgiving Alaska terrain!P.

Another thing to consider - you can import the lwm bgl into sbuilder, and adjust the elevation of the polygons there to whatever you like...not sure if the freeware version will let you save. Worth a try though...

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest ps76

It must be faster than using Find/Replace in Wordpad for every height number!! I read a little on the option in the manual but will look into it.ThanksP.