Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

Help Please.........

Guest erjboy

I know this has been beaten to death but I had to reinstall windows and FS2002 and I frequently get lockups now. I had my fltsim so tweaked perfect before with know lockups. I went back to the 12.41 drivers for my Geforce2 MX 400, but nothing is helpping and I need some advive. I even got tips from the Flightsim tip site. Any help will be appreciated guys... Thanks....Joe

Guest SD Sim

What version of windows? Was your cpu overclocked before you had lockup problems? If so, for how long?

Guest erjboy

I have both win 98 SE and WinXp installed and it doesn't usually make a difference I get lockups on both, as for my CPU an AMD 1.33 overclock to 1.45.Thanks for any help...Joe

Guest SD Sim

First thing I would suggest is to open the BIOS to see if your video card is sharing an IRQ (interrupt request) with another component. You didn't specify, but I would assume that your VC is in the AGP slot. If you are sharing an IRQ, then see if your BIOS will let you manually reassign so that the VC has it's own IRQ. If you cannot reassign, then try moving one of the cards in your PCI slots (assuming that you have any there). If this is not the problem, then I would question whether or not your cpu overclock is the problem.Good luck.

Guest erjboy

Thanks Dave I'll try your suggestion and see.

Just for grins, what is the rating of your power supply?Any lock ups with any of your other graphic intensive games/proggies?David might be on to something too with IRQ conflicts. Tough to figure out sometimes! Lots of trial and error.:-wavehttp://fsgateway.com/images/frank.jpgwww.FSGateway.com

Guest erjboy

I have a 320 Watt power supply. I had lots of lockups with Metal of honor so far there is no conflict with the IRQ's and I went back to 1.33 on my cpu and I was able to fly my PSS airbus for 30minutes until I got that GDI.exe error. Actually it just locked up Fltsim but not my coputer....Thanks guys..

Guest SD Sim

Hi Joe,Your latest nugget of information leads me to suspect that you might have a corrupt file. I don't have enough experience with windows to tell you what the GDI executable is, but that would be my prime suspect. Of course, if GDI is an acronym for graphics device interface, then perhaps you need to examine your drivers??Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Seems pretty clear it's a heat problem. I don't know what GDI.exe is either, but one of my old computers constantly gives exceptions in GDI once it gets nice and hot.Considering also that you seemed to get more time before lockups when you stopped overclocking should strongly suggest that heat is causing a connection problem somewhere in your system.Is your house really warm lately? Fans are all going strong? Blown dust out lately??michaelEDIT: you had no problems before you reinstalled?? Where you in the box before you reinstalled? First thing I always did whenever a system gave me problems was pull out and reseat every card and ram stick. Worked 90% of the time.

Guest erjboy

I have come to the conclusion that it must be the overclock cpu. Since I restored it back to 1.33 I haven't had not 1 lockup. Well tahnks for all the help guys....Joe

Guest Max Cowgill

>I have come to the conclusion that it must be the overclock >cpu. Since I restored it back to 1.33 I haven't had not 1 >lockup.If you like the performance boost from the overclock, why not just get a better hsf for your cpu? You may need some better system cooling too but ~$50 to get an extra 10% or more performance out of your system is well worth it imho.Max Cowgill