Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

Custom Landclass, newbie question.

Guest Keith Sebastian

Hi all,What would be the simplest method of applying custom landclass to a small area around an airport? Also how can I convert a sattelite image into an image fit to be used as landclass?I'm a total noob to scenery design and I've been trying to achieve the above with Ground2k VTP's. Also had a look at AutoASM and the manual, but everything looks so complicated.Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Keith

No knock on Ground2k, but you might check out SBuilder, and the forum on PTSim. I think you have 3 options: 1. use VTP with custom texture (IIRC there is an image flipping step required).2. use photoscenery tiles (4.8 m pixel resolution) via resample.3. use ground objects with hi-res photos.I think if you want to use satelite photo, the first step is get thephoto in geo coords with WGS84 datum (google earth uses this natively, so you are ahead there). Make sure the photo is properly oriented (no tilt, north up). For photo scenery, try to get a resultion of 4.8m per pixel (letting resample up or downsample may not work that well.You need to accurately locate your capture photo (NW, SE corners, or at least prominent features in NW SE areas of the photo which you can accurately determine position). Another option for photo sceenry is terrabuilder. This will help you to slice photos into the correct size and build the control files for resample.scott s..

Guest Keith Sebastian

Scott, Thanks, I'll try SBuilder."the first step is get the photo in geo coords with WGS84 datum" - how do I do this with Google Earth. Will the save image option work, with co-ordinates manually noted down and the zoom adjusted to give about 5m/pixel? High accuracy is not important to me, any I'm working on an extremely small area, just the airport.Keith

Goggle Earth has a "turn on Lat and Long" overlay feature that drapes the the lines over your image. Then you can go to full screen mode, turn on just the menu bar (this gives you a biggeer area in your image), and save to your drive or email the image to yourself or someone else (whatever). The image will have the lat and long info pasted on you image.I have used this feature and found that I can very accurately locate the image by the coordinates overlay. It works best for images that are done at lower elevations.cheers.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

The point of getting accurate coordinates mainly comes into play if you will need to have your photos align with terrain features such as roads and rivers. If your photos will only be surrounded by default scenery, it may not be that important, unless there is a coastline in your photos. Most of the default terrain features are so inaccurate there isn't much hope of trying to match, unless it is one of the cities included (generally this means photo scenery).scott s..

Guest Keith Sebastian

Hi,Thanks for all the replies. My first attempt with SBuilder resulted in no output. Looks like bglc is running but no files are created. I will try again later and see if I can figure it out. The included html help file looks very basic.Keith

Guest luissa

Hi,Please check if you have SCASM installed in the Tools folder. BGLs are compiled with SCASM (not BGLC).Luis