Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Autogen Trees Missing Seasonal Textures...Help Please..

Guest abent

Please see enclosed pic...All my seasonal tree textures are intact and in the root texture folder. I can't get the spring and fall texture to appear at all. It looks like a winter texture in those 2 seasons. This seems to happen everywhere I've been in the FS world. Not exactly when this started happening.Thanks,Adamhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/127117.jpg

Guest abent

Well, I guess it has to do with the seasons (times). In certain parts of the world the TreePlanter (George Davidson) Trees are in sync with the MS trees.I will attempt to get in touch with George to see if there is any way to make the trees in sync with MS trees.Adam

Hi Adam,Yes, that is because the mesh scenery has its own seasons and unfortunately these are not known to the rest of the scenery. The TreePlanter trees probably use the 6F8 variable and that just divides the year into four pieces of 3 months. The mesh seasons are much more details and represent the actual seasons at that specific location (so no winter in the Sahara :)).This could be fixed by using the day of the year variable instead of the 6F8 variable for the season change, but then the trees would have to be different for each position at the earth you use it at.Another approach I have been thinking of is to make a little module that overwrites the value in 6F8 with one that matches the mesh. But I haven't been able to finish the coding on that yet.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Adam,There is a problem with the seasons when using GianP's trees. Here is part of his Q&A:Q: The seasons do not match exactly those autogen'ed!?A: I know - Bill is better than Vivaldi. In fact he plays 5 seasons! (and doesn't tell anybody where to look to know which season is while/where in flight) The library works with the 4 seasons we all know, with snow in Winter. The ag_engine sets the season using lat/lon and elevation. - example from my tests: In the area I live (around It-CH border) there is a very short Winter (late Nov./early Dec.), then it's hardwinter, but on the 15th of March it's already springtime. Q: The seasonal textures are reversed in the southern hemisphere!A: That's true! Although it is possible to have the right seasonal textures everywhere, the required coding is less efficient in terms of frame rate. Therefore this library cannot be used downunder, (but you can add 1000+ trees w/o heavily impacting your framerate).George

Guest abent

Hi Arno and George. Thank you both for the explanations.Arno, when you do get that coding done, I'll be first in line to download it. If anyone can figure out something like that, it would be you.George, your treeplanter program is absolutely wonderful and has become a staple of all my scenery projects. I'm still using version 3.I assume that that version uses GianP's trees as well? I don't suppose there is a set of trees designed that follow the seasons?Thanks again guys for the help,Adam

>I'm still >using version 3.>I don't suppose there is a set of trees designed that follow the>seasons?The current version is 4.1 (available here at Avsim) which includes Gerrish Gray's trees. I'm not sure, but I think they will work in the southern hemisphere.George

Guest abent

Thanks George. I'm going to upgrade when I start my next scenery.Adam