Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

animated flag ?

Guest sinzow

Hi,i am looking for an easy-to-use animated flag. rotating according to wind direction and strength, with easy to change bitmap = nationality, and easy to use in FSSC are a similar scenery maker. searching the forums i found many technical discussions, but could not find a link for download. is there such a flag available to the public ?thx for your answerSinzow

Guest Hugo

Hi! Last year I had the same need and found this file, usaflag.zip (138kb), on Flightsim. It comes with the api source so you would be able to install it anywhere you want. It's a huge flag (300 feet or so as I recall) so it needs to be sized down into Airport and probably FSSC as well.The graphic file it uses should be replaced by a similar one extracted from animated contry flag gif files U can find here: http://www.fg-a.com/flags.htm. The wave rendering is so-so though. Perhaps if one plays with the timing within the api (which I haven't) would make it slickyer.Using the technic, I succeeded to make one for Canada and Bermuda ...and Quebec :-)Hope it helps. If you need more info, just buzz me here.Hugo

Guest abent

HI Hugo. I'd certainly be interested in the animated flag for Canada if you are willing to send it my way.Thx,Adam

Guest Hugo

Hi Adam.In the joined image you will see those flags I made last year based on usaflag.zip mentionned in my previous message.Altough they do wave, they do not orient themselves into wind. As you can see the bitmap is not that great and the waving smouthness isn't that great either. So I'm not that found of the rendering.Altough I could supply you with a Canadian version of it, I don't think you would be that found either.I am presently looking at making an other version that would be smouther waving, lighted at nigth (if needed) and wind oriented. I did make a nicer looking bitmaps this morning but do need to tweek the code which I don't know how long it would take me or even if I will succeed but I'm hopefull ;-)If you still wish to get the present version just email me (hugo1852001@yahoo.ca) the address to send it to.Hugo

Guest Hugo

Still looking into it :-)In Scasm's sc-annex.doc FS internal variables (hex)282 running bit timer. There is one bit runningfrom 0000.0000.0000.0001 to 1000.0000.0000.0000in about 6 seconds. Used for flashlights.How should I interpret "from 0000.0000.0000.0001 to 1000.0000.0000.0000"- A counter from 1 to 1000 in pico value increases?- A counter from 1 to one trillion in unit increases?- All of the above- None of the above:-)Hugo

Guest abent

Hey Hugo,Sorry for the delay in responding. I appreciate your offer of the flag and will send you an email shortly. Thanks a lot! I have a flag from another fellow, but it too will not turn according to wind direction.Adam

Guest Hugo

Hi guys. Well, with some luck I had some success producing night lighted, wind oriented canadian waving flag using FSDS2 and adapting some of the codes found in usaflag.zip. I tried few things and, to my own surprise, things seam to be working. It is not as fluid as I would have wished but it ain't that bad either.I would like to send copies to few people who have better knowledge of scasm coding than I, to see if they could improve it, mainly the fluidity aspect.Secondly, the graphic bitmaps I used were extract from waving flags gif files I found at http://www.fg-a.com/flags.htm as mentionned in a previous post. I resized and pampered them to some degre. Now I wonder if it would be legal to publish it and others, as the designer has a copyright policy that can be seen here: http://www.fg-a.com/policies.htm.Now I'm not using the gif file per se but the different frames found into it. Kind of touchy isen't it? What do you think?Hugo

Guest abent

Great news guys. Hugo my email address is acbent"at"nb.sympatico.ca. I'd love a copy. Did you send the gentleman a request to use the flag? He should be receptive to the idea, I would hope. Another query for ya...how would one place the flag?Jeff, all I get is a .rar file. I don't see any readme or anything else.Adam

Guest Hugo

Adam, .rar files are an other type of compressed files akin to zip files but you need to use WinRar to decompress them. I can join a zip version to the package I will send you.Do you have some scasm basic knowledge? (that's all I have ;-) ). I could send you usaflag.zip as well so you could compare the code in there (the api file) with the one I made with FSDS V2.24.To place the flag into your scenery you have to actualy need to place 2 of them, due to an FS flaw, using a scenery installer like Airport or FSSC. Those are api files. Mind you, if you need to have a single flag in your scenery, you can size down the second one an possibly hide it in a building or any other object nearby. Alternatively, there is an invisible rotating object contained with the bfu flag file that could posibly be used instead of a second hidden sized down flag. But I haven't tried it yet and can't say for shure if it would work with my own but maybe it would. Just a matter of testing.If you happen to have FSDS224, I could send you the source file (.fsc) as well.So, just let me know what you need.Meanwhile, I will try to contact the gif file desinger to get the ok to use their files. The worst they can tell me is No Way :-) Then I'll see what I can do making my own. I'm no graphic artist. Then it can be surprising what one can do when backed to the wall :-)Hugo

Guest abent

Hey Hugo,Sorry for the delay in responding. I use Gmax exclusively for modeling and do not have FSSC or Airport. Scasm I know nothing about but I have done a bit of code altering to asm files. David, my co-designer has FSSC I believe, so what I will do is pass on the .rar to him and see what he can do with it.I appreciate the help. Let me know how you make out with your own flag creation. Always interested in hearing what other designers are up to. :D Thanks again,Adam

Guest Hugo

Hi Adam. There is still a possibility :-)If you send me the precise location where you would want to see the flag and the coordinate of a nearby building (see joined image for an example) or the coordinates of a second one you would like to set in the scenery (be it a Quebec flag ;-) ) and the mast height you would need, I could make a bgl I could send you.Hugo

Guest abent

Quebec flag...not a chance :-lol . I'll get you some coordinates right away. Thanks a bunch Hugo.Adam

Guest abent

Hey Hugo....the first set is for the flag palcement. The second for the dummy flag. I'd say make the first one say 20m high and the dummy flag small as the building is about 5m high max.Thanks a lot and look forward to checking it out.Adamhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/128895.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/128896.jpgBetter yet to save you from having to key them in...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/128897.txt

Guest Hugo

Ok Adam, I'll prepare the files and send them to you asap, tonight if possible, to the address you gave earlier.I'm presently preparing an addon, I will upload to avsim sometime this week, that, beside containing the Canadian waving flag itself, will also contain the documentation (in french and english) on how one could produce its own country/state/municipal and whatnot flag based on the api file I developed.It is not addressed to you, the Scams and Airport or FSSC ignorant guy ;-), but maybe your friend could do something with it like bringing it to a newer code level (xml?)(that may or may not require your input) from a GMax model. Maybe, just maybe ;-)Naturaly anyone else would be welcomed to give it a try too!!Hugo