Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Scenery Types

Guest tomahawk_pa38

This may seem a bit basic for you experts out there, bu even though I've been simming for years, I know nothing about scenery files. What are AFCAD files, Mesh Scenery, Landclass etc - what do they all do and why are there so many different types. What effect does each have. For example I see the new scenery for New Zealand comes as a mesh and a Topo - what happens if youv'e only got one of them ?Also i downloaded some terrific scenery for Malta from a link from the Air Malta website - it looks great but the terminal buildings are in a hole in the ground and when I taxi the plane, it keeps saying that i have collided with something.Sorry its a lot of questions, but any replies would be appreciated.

Guest sapper42

The only Silly Question is the One you Dont Ask ! :0)AFCAD files lay out the RWY's, Taxiways, ILS etc, each airport Airfield in FS9 has an AFCAD file attributed to it, without one there would be no where to land.Mesh Scenery is the surface of the earth your flying over, remove the textures and imagine it as a wireframe showing the 3D shape, hence the word Mesh ! A more accurate Mesh file custom created will better reflect the actual terrain in reality.Landclass is the texture that covers the Mesh ( for land ) and can be City texures, Desert textures, Woodland textures etc. You can modify the default texture of your favorite area and remove the green fields for a suburban texture that may be more accurate to your area by creating a new LandClass file for FS9 !Your buildings in the ground are most likely to be that the scenery wasnt created for the terrain Mesh that is being used so the elevation needs to be corrected, as to crashing into invisible objects, that is something the author may be able to help you with .Hope this very brief answer helps you out a little.Jeff

Take a look at the thread pinned at the top of this forum (Beginner's Guide). It should get you started. scott s..