Sign in to follow this  
Guest mtom

VTP River Polys

Guest mtom

Hi all.Does anyone know how stop the re-meshing effect from VTP river polys? The gully depressions are normally great, but the default mesh LOD causes close proximity scenery elements to sink to the river level. This often distorts the apperance of landclass and autogen along the river's edge. Okay for out in the country, but no good for the suburbs. I can re-mesh with G2K4 or flatten areas, but I was hoping there was an easier approach.Any ideas?Cheers,Matthew.

Hi Matthew,you can control the amount of "depression" in the terrain.cfg. The first texture from the top, Texture.1024, has an offset= parameter. Default is -10 and reducing that will decrease the effect.The other parameter that influences this feature is Terrain_Max_Vertex_Levele in your FS9.cfg. The higher the value (21 is max for FS9) the steeper the sides of the ditches (and road cuts, etc.).Cheers, Holger

Guest mtom

Hi Holger.That's great info. I suppose, though, by altering your terrain.cfg and FS9.cfg file in this way, it'll affect all the VTP line rivers in FS?Cheers,Matthew.

Hi Matthew,that's correct - any changes to your terrain.cfg will be global in nature.Cheers, HolgerP.S.: Actually, if you're talking about streams that you're adding in G2K4 you have the option of adding custom textures to your OwnLines4.txt in Ground2K4Resource (it's described somewhere in the manual). Those custom streams will not (actually: cannot) have any depression at all. I use those frequently when placing streams in mountainous terrain, as the high-res mesh does show the river bed quite well already.

Guest Horst

Hello Matthew,Here was a thread, when you want to play with your terrain.cfg:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...9&mesg_id=23929And the post from rhumbaflappy in the same thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=23933&page=should be a sticky in every wishlist for the next FS version for addon scenery design.I am using the FS9 in this way, with my personal terrain.cfg.Correcting also 3rd party addons to my taste and visual feeling for used textures and width.(Therefore I am using Sbuilder)You can not share your work, but you can improve your SIM.Play with it and take care (in ten minutes you will know what CTD means).But do not worry, you have to write only the correct

Guest mtom

Hi Holger and Horst.Thanks for the tips and links. I'll have a play real soon.One thing though. Holger, if you develop a scenery by adding custom textures to your OwnLines4.txt in G2K4, can it be used by others? In other words, if you make changes using this technique will they work as a loadable 3rd party scenery in another person's sim?Cheers,Matthew.

Hi Matthew,yes, it can! All that OwnLines does is copy the information you provide into the header of the bgl files G2K4 creates. If you're just referencing the existing default textures no further action is needed; if you're using custom textures you'll have to provide them with the upload.Have fun with your project.Cheers, Holger

Guest mtom

Ta Holgar.One last question. Can you please point me in the direction of documentation on how to use this feature of G2K4? I can't find any discussion of it in the TMF Manual or the Ground2K for Beginers guide. The reason I ask is that I'm unable to get it to work correctly. Here's what I've got and added to the OwnLines4.txt file://------------------------------------------// Line example : 1 texture, or 6 textures separated with ',' no space in the name[Texture.4097] // Ground2K4 exampleType=3Size=4Textures=railroadsu.bmp,railroadsu.bmp,railroadsu.bmp,railroadsu.bmp,railroadsu.bmp,railroadsu.bmpEffect=wavecontroller[Texture.4098] // Ground2K4 exampleType=3Size=4Texture=MTriversu.bmpEffect=wavecontrollerThe "4098" is mine. It is listed in the table of VTP line polys in G2K4 (v5.33), but the image of the texture does not show, and the line I get in the FS environment is something completely different - a sandy shore with waves. The texture I've used has the same name as the texture entry, it uses the same format as the default, and I've tried it in the main FS9/TEXTURE folder and the WORLD/TEXTURE folder.Any ideas?Cheers,Matthew.

Hi Matthew,the Ground2K4_US.doc mentions the option (p.26) but is pretty brief about it.Basically, you have to familiarize yourself with the specific parameters that call and describe VTP2 lines. The FS9 Terrain SDK docs (available at the MS FS2004 website), specifically "Terrain Vector Data.doc", describe them under the heading "The VTP Packed Texture Names" starting on p.11.That is, Type, Size, Texture, and Effect have to match your specific texture. Also, the Texture= line needs to call all five seasons, plus light texture (optional), regardless of whether you have only one texture for all seasons.The waves show up because you have the wavecontroller effect added as the Effect= parameter; if you don't want an effect attached to your line type just delete the Effect= line or place two forward slashes in front of it.A good place for checking on the appropriate parameters is your own terrain.cfg file in the FS9 root directory. Load it in a text editor and scroll to a texture that most closely resembles yours (e.g., the streams, which are at the very top of the terrain.cfg). Then copy the parameters and replace the seasonal texture names with yours and you should be good to go. The custom textures can go anywhere though I prefer to store them in the texture subfolder of my project's directory.Cheers, Holger

Guest mtom

Ta Holger.That points me in the right direction. Nearly there. Just got to sort out the texture formting using Bmp2000 or MS`s Imagetool and I should have some custom streams. Excellent!Cheers,Matthew.