Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

Why can't you control runway signs from AFCAD?

Guest artmartin

Thanks for all the info. I've been coming to much the same conclusions based on my own research and observations. My only problem is finding the time in a busy life to implement solutions. I think I'd steer away from actually editing and recompiling the APXXXXX.bgl file since it raises too many potential problems of installation and synchronization if we all did that. I instead added an exclude statement in my AFCAD XML file that removed all the taxiway signs and then copied in all the lines from the AP*.BGL file offset by whatever amount I needed. Once I figure out those other objects I'll use the same method for them. In a later extension I'll create some graphical means of relocating all of them. Art

I'm sure you are not doing this - but I cannot emphasize enough to not recompile the APnnnnn.bgl files.Aside from the high probability of corruption - there is no need.If you make changes to an individual airport (and most APnnnnn.blg files hold over 100 airports) - compile that airport data into a separate .BGL file.Placing that file in the SceneryGenericScenery folder - as recommended in the BGLComp SDK - and FS will take what it needs from the base files, what changes you have made in the addon file - and still allow end clients to customize the parking with an AFCAD file.Do a search on the AVSIM file library for files by Jim Vile - he has a better explaination and some excellent examples of this in action with his Active ILS and Active Approaches.

Guest Bell206freak

So far, I've only been able to decompile and recompile one default APXXXXXX.bgl file. It was AP914140.BGL, and it contained only a dozen or so airports in south Vancouver Island in Canada and about five or six in the extreme northwest corner of Washington State.I did that because it was necessary to do so, or else any AFCAD file wouldn't work with the edited airport. The airport in question was SFS Airpark (ICAO code 80WA), a default airport in Washington State that is quite famous in Flight Simulator for the terrain anomaly around it.Depending on what terrain mesh you are using, it can either be a floating runway or the entire airport within a 1,500-foot deep hole.The reason why I decompiled - and then recompiled the AP914140.bgl airport data file was for a number of reasons. One reason was that I relocated SFS Airpark. By default, Microsoft placed it a mile south of Lake Crescent. In reality, there is hardly any civilization near the lake, and no possibility of an airport there because of the tremendously steep and mountainous terrain the lake is surrounded by. Its current default location is approximately 70 statute miles west of where SFS Airpark is actually located, a small town called Port Hadlock just outside Port Townsend, Washington. In reality, SFS Airpark is located approximately three miles southeast of Jefferson County International (0S9) in Port Townsend. The second reason why this was necessary was due to the default start locations. When I relocated and saved the new SFS Airpark (including the start locations) as a separate AF2_80WA.bgl file, the relocated start positions would not work. In Map view or by creating or changing airport locations, I would always be redirected to the old location, even though I had relocated it.The third was to change the default surface type for the runway and add a few new features (this was done via the AFCAD-generated file). By default, it is a grass strip, but the actual surface is a turf runway with a gravel bed.In addition, I also relocated the AB terrain background polygon and flattening polygon for the airport found in files AB914140,BGL and FL914140.BGL by opening up the default files in SBuilder, and then relocating the aforementioned features and resaving them under the respective default filenames.I have extensively tested the finished result and it has had no ill effects on any other airports contained within the three files I modified.I haven't released the finished result yet because I am working on some major scenery overhauls for Washington State, including Sanderson Field, the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and revamping my Mount St. Helens scenery project via adding new scenery objects and replacing existing ones.

Hi Reggie,I'm apparently modifying an airport with older code: it has no taxiway signs in the APn.BGL. There are none in the relevent OBs as well. Where else might these puppies be?I'm attempting to be lazy: the airport needs all signs shifted minor amounts to accurately match runway/taxiway corrections I have made. It would be very easy to copy all the XML, pick off the signs coordinates and correct it in a new XML file, excluding the Magic Master Sign of course.Otherwise I need to recode all the signs and that's a bit of work.I realize if these signs have been coded with an "old" method, there may not be a BGL that will decompile to XML.Jon

Which decompiler did you use?I always decompile with both BGLXML & NewBGLAnalyze - and compare the airport code side by side.Each finds some different things which the other does not find.I have not yet tested BGLXML 1.7 yet - having only previously used ver 1.5.

Jim Vile and Holger have an interesting thread on the PAI forum - AFCAD section - about moving default aiports - about the distance you indicate.They've been able to do so with addon files only - not having to touch the default file.www.projectai.comForumsAfacad ForumYou'll have to search for posts by the user JVILE

Hi Reggie,Bingo! I used BGLXML (not sure what version). NewBGLAnalyze found the signs that BGLXML did not.Thanks!Jon

I still don't know why you guys are ignoring SceneGenX? It has a couple bugs, but it pulls in all the taxisigns. Just:Import bgl filescan fileselect airport(s) and objects within radius of airportGenerate XML from sgx file.As a side benefit, you get a plan view of the objects, sort of like AFCAD (though I agree AFCAD is better for editing specific elements, once everything is in the right place). OTOH, you can place a background bmp to guide placement.Or, build a directory of default airports by scanning AP, NV and OB files to the database, and select from the database.scott s..

I will get there - just at my age the learning curve is always steep.ScenGenX holds the promise to be the product to do almost everything we want, for which we poorly use AFCAD right now.

Guest Bell206freak

>Jim Vile and Holger have an interesting thread on the PAI>forum - AFCAD section - about moving default aiports - about>the distance you indicate.>>They've been able to do so with addon files only - not having>to touch the default file.>>www.projectai.com>>Forums>>Afacad Forum>>You'll have to search for posts by the user JVILETrue, and I did read that thread before I moved SFS Airpark, but my goal is to eliminate any existance of SFS Airpark as it was located by default, including the background AP terrain polygons and flattening polygons as well.No other airport within the modified BGLs were affected by the move, because before I modified, I tested every airport contained within the modified BGLs, and again tested them afier I moved SFS Airpark._Steve

Guest artmartin

Yeah, I concur. I've learned to use so many FS scenery design programs in the last year, I can't keep them all straight. ScenegenX sounds interesting but that little voice in my head is saying "Learn one more program and I'll blow up." I suppose I'll break down and download it though. A boy never has too many toys.Art

Guest hefy_jefy

Hello Art,I recoginize a kindred spirit!I seem to spend about a quarter of the time flying and the rest trying to put the places I visit right...Its fun looking at Google Earth or USA photomaps trying to figure what a place REALLY looks like! And doing your best to correct it.And if you want a real challenge try it somewhere like China - I had almost given up with the wretched taxiway signs. Very discouraging having carefully repositioned everything, built a couple of hangers etc to be taxiing out for the first time and trip over a silly taxiway marker in the middle of the taxiway!I try every scenery program that appears, and it seems, like most people I find myself using about 3 or 4 different ones for adjusting different things..And many thanks to all the programmers for them, I know nothing of code so I am totally dependent on these guys!I recently found that SBuilder http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=54470can remove and insert taxway signs fairly painlessly (it uses the aircraft position, you don't have to enter coordinates)Good luck Geoff