Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Question on Second PC for FS2002?

I'm about to upgrade my PC- new motherboard, CPU and DDR RAM. This requires a new video card (to be AGP 2.0) and a new box (to get output from the power supply). As I'm also installing a DVD drive, all that I will need to get this old girl (PIII-750) working again will be a new HD and floppy.So- I can either toss this old PC (not likely, my first PC that I built myself), sell it, or keep it in working order. Regarding the last option- who uses a second PC for FS2002? I do have a LAN here, so could conceivably keep this PC on the network. We have a spare PC already, which we use for network backups. Any ideas on ideas on how to use this with FS2002?Thanks for any insight,Bruce.

I thought computer were like girl friends, you can't have too many!You don't need a big hard drive if you put it on the network. Just enough to get windows started. Run widefs with some programs such as squawkbox if you fly on-line. You can also use it for roger rilco. I have two roger wilco sessions, one for com1 on the server with push to talk, and one on the client for com2 that only listens. Tune com2 to your next hand off and you will be more aware of what app is saying and how busy he is and his "style". If you don't fly on line, use it with widefs and run a AImap or Pete's traffic info program that he ships with fsuipc.You will be able to run FSFlightMax shortly on a second computer with all of the section maps located anywhere on LAN. Thus, no hard drive needed. Without a hard drive WideWiew probably would not be of any value because you must have FS running on the second computer also. No room.But, then if you don't have the floor space ...Regards,Bob

Guest SD Sim

My personal recommendation is to spend a little bit more to get a reasonable hard drive (40-60GB is plenty) and then run WidevieW. I currently run two monitors for my view (forward and left) and a third monitor for guages, GPS, etc.). My plan is to add a third computer to my LAN sometime this fall (when the new cpu's and memory are available) so that I can add the right view to my set-up. Once you've experienced WidevieW, it's hard to imagine being without it :-) .

Any working PC you are thinking about getting rid of should be donated to a good charity or group. Look in your newspaper for groups wanting computer donations.I saw a news report the other day about a place in China that gets all the world's old computers. If it was in the U.S.A., it would qualify as a superfund cleanup area. All the lead, mercury, gold, and other heavy metals are polluting the earth. The chemicals they use (acids) to recover the above metals are being dumped into the local aquafers.Computers are not the only items being dumped, cell phones and other electronic items are also problematic.

There are electronic equipment "recycling" centers that will buy your computer "junk". Though it may be only pennies for a pound, there might be some GOLD in that junk! Just search on "electronic recycling centers" on www.yahoo.com. There's one near me around Teterboro, NJ.Please make the effort and recycle!Bic

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Hi Bob,Thanks for the ideas. I must admit that I haven't flown with on-line ATC for some years now, maybe I should start again ( I get chewed out by real controllers enough these days, I guess :) ). Roger Wilco is something I have never tried, so worth giving it a go.Thanks,Bruce.PS. Computers aren't like girl-friends, they never have expectations! :)

Hi David,I'm not aware of what "WideView" is, I must go find out. Thanks for the idea.Bruce.

Thanks guys,No- if I did decide to ever dispose of my "first-born" (first home-made PC :) ), I won't be trashing it. Some good ideas on how to usefully pass a computer on.Thanks,Bruce.