Sign in to follow this  
Guest Horst

New version of AutoAsm with dynamic objects support

Guest cwright

Hello all. You can download AutoAsm V1.0 here: http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/autoasm.zip Apart from a few minor fixes, the major new feature is support for dynamic objects. You can now add ground traffic moving along roads as well as moving ships and flying aircraft. You can also add moving trains. You can assign multiple object types to a VTP line with the following parameters:1. Object definition e.g. dyn-00000125, where the number is the short GUID for the object. You can also assign the full 32 character GUID. The definition for a train would be dyn-train-00000127. Finally you can assign one of the default SDK objects e.g. dyn-LIB-CESSNA-ID2.Density - the number of instances of the object that will appear on the line (usually a road!)3. Speed4. Offset - the offest of the object from the line centre.5. Side - defines if the object is on the right or left of the road.6. Direction7. Spacing8. Altitude. Set to zero for road traffic or set altitude for a flying aircraft. You can use settings 4, 5 and 6 to create traffic moving in both directions in multiple traffic lanes. You can assign any number of different objects to a line provided you don't exceed the maximum allowed number of objects and path points. Unfortunately Flight Simulator seems to limit the max number of objects to about 220 and the max number of path points to about 1,600. There is an option to split the number of scenery files so more objects can be assigned to each area, but yet another problem with FS limits the effectiveness of this somewhat. If anyone has any thoughts as to how to overcome these limits then please let me know! This release includes a dynamic object library with a few simple vehicles just to get you going. The manual has instructions on how to make your own dynamic object libraries using gmax and fsregen. Many thanks to Edgar Knobloch and Lou (Firestriker) for help with this. When I started I knew absolutely nothing about creating dynamic objects! Best regards, Chris Here are some screen shots: http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/as6.jpg http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/as16.jpg http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/as17.jpg The 6:15 to Victoria.... http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/as10.jpg http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/as8.jpg http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/as9.jpg

Glad to see that you are re-activated after the real Tsunami. I need a new copy of AutoASM since mine has become well-worn.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest cwright

Hi Dick, Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think nobody had seen my post! Hope you're well. Best regards, Chris

We are all pretty amazed, as usual, Chris.Perhaps you could consider placing AutoAsm in the Avsim library soon. It would be available to so many other people, a lot of whom are most likely looking for such a great and powerful program.Best regards.Luis

Guest cwright

Hi Luis, That's a good idea. I dubbed this version 1.0 as it has all the features I intended, so it's probably a good time to place it in the library. Of course, if anyone has ideas for any new features.... Best regards, Chris

Guest artmartin

I'm concerned about creating scenery outside the rules of the FS 2004 SDK. Does this fall into that category so that things you do in it will be forwardly compatible?Art

Guest cwright

Art, the dynamic objects feature conforms to the last SDK with dynamic object content, possibly for FS2000. The dynamic objects system is positively ancient, though FS2004 still supports it (but with some very annoying limitations that betray its age!) Hopefully FS10 will have a completely new and far more powerful dynamic objects system. If so, I'll certainly look at updating AutoAsm to support it. Best regards, Chris

Guest Richard Hill

Chris;I downloaded your newest vesion, when I opened a previous file I got an error '6' overflow. I sent you an e-mail then remembered after finding the problem, that you answered the forum faster. After several attemps I deleated my old CLE Cleaveland Ohio DAT and Configuration files, and things worked fine. I tried other files before and after with no problems, I don't know why the one had a problem. I will give the vehicle autogen a try soon. Too bad we cant get an updated or newer TerraScene for FS2004/FS9, that would allow the use of land class data, one could mage some great looking scenery.Richard

Guest cwright

Hi, Richard, Sorry I missed your email. I check the forum more regularly than I check my email! I'm not sure what might have caused that problem, particularly as the only significant changes were for dynamic objects. Glad to hear it's working okay otherwise. Of course TerraScene was developed for Fly! and as that sim is discontinued I doubt if TS will be updated. If you do try dynamic objects let me know how you get on! Best regards, Chris

Guest Horst

Hello Chris,First of all: thank you very much for the dynamic objects.I had much fun, as far as I played with. :)(But I do not have much time yet to play in my spare time).-----------I want to mention for maybe new users of AutoAsm:You can use AA also with existing data!You can export a bitmap with boundaries information with the included LWMViewer from Jim Keir.And read the data with AA again, and doing the dynamic write files alone.I did not tried this approach (and I do not know the limitations or anomalies you will get, and if you need a perfect repaired bitmap) yet. (maybe Chris knows some)-----------However, thank you very much.I will write, when I find something.Best regardsHorst

Guest cwright

Hello Horst, Glad you liked the dynamic objects! It can be quite fun as you say. A great pity the number of objects is limited by Flight Simulator, otherwise it would be possible to fill large regions with fairly dense road traffic etc. Modern computers are powerful enough to support it with good frame rates. I must remember to email Microsoft with some suggestions for the next version, including dynamic objects. Of course, in the next version the dynamic objects system may be completely different. That's a good point about importing bitmaps from LWMViewer. In principle it should certainly be possible to use AutoAsm to add dynamic traffic to existing sceneries. I haven't tried it - maybe I will. If I do I'll let you know how it works. Best regards, Chris

Guest Horst

Hello Chris,I would like to have more time, and do hope I will have more in the next 2 months.To quote: