Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bell206freak

Custom Terrain Textures - Why all seasons required?

Hello,I'm trying to create a custom terrain using resample.exe with the following season textures:Summer for Summer, Fall and SpringWinter for Winter and HardWinterLightMap for NightBut everytime I run resample.exe with my ini file, it creates textures for summer, fall, spring, hardwinter, winter and night. This takes twice as much space as actually required. Is there any way to get around that?Sasa

Hi Sasa,No, as far as I know that is not possible. When you place them using VTP polygons you could provide the same name for the summer, spring and fall texture. But I do not think resample supports that.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Bell206freak

It does, but you have to use a separate program outside of the FS2004 Terrain SDK.When I developed my Mount St. Helens scenery, I searched for days trying to find a better program than the FS2004 SDK. I found one, Photo Scenery Maker. It can give you the option of using only one season (which will show up when flying in any season, too), or using the entire set. It allows for lightmapping and LWM integration too, and it is by far the easiest out of all the ones I tried, (Sbuilder, Terrabuilder, and the SDK).It also has an easy calibration method. Instead of requiring the bounding coordinates of the bitmap, you can also coordinate the bitmap by calibrating it from any two given reference points, i.e. the parking lot of Hoffstadt Bluffs and the summit register of Mount St. Helens. (the method I used).Give it a shot.

> It can give you the option of using only one season (which will show > up when flying in any season, too), or using the entire set.This is my problem. I don't want to use the entire set, but only 3 textures without all 6 seasonal textures in the output.Sasa

It does seem like the default landclass allow for this case. Maybe it is tied to what is required by seasons.bgl for that area?scott s..

Guest luissa

HiYou are bound to the seasons definitions found in the default file SEASONS.BGL. Open this file with TMFViewer and change the months fromJanuary to December to see how many seasons you have in your region!You can change SEASONS.BGL but you will be changing one complete LOD5 quad, if I remember well.Regards, Luis

Guest Bell206freak

>> It can give you the option of using only one season (which>will show >> up when flying in any season, too), or using the entire>set.>>This is my problem. I don't want to use the entire set, but>only 3 textures without all 6 seasonal textures in the>output.>>SasaYou won't need the additional six seasonal variant textures, i.e. the ones ending with SU.bmp, FA.bmp, Wi.bmp, Hw.bmp, etc. With Photo Scenery Maker, all it does when you select one bitmap is creates the summer seasonal textures, which are the default. Additionally, the output BGL allows your photoreal scenery to display during any season. I speak with experience here, because the very first release of my Mount St. Helens Scenery package was created with Photo Scenery Maker, and all I had was one master bitmap.

>You won't need the additional six seasonal variant textures,>i.e. the ones ending with SU.bmp, FA.bmp, Wi.bmp, Hw.bmp, etc.>With Photo Scenery Maker, all it does when you select one>bitmap is creates the summer seasonal textures, which are the>default. Additionally, the output BGL allows your photoreal>scenery to display during any season. But that was not his question. He does not want to use one season for the entire year. He wants to have a different winter texture, without having to make a spring and fall texture as well.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Bell206freak

That is impossible without having the entire seasonal set. You could duplicate fall and spring with the summer set - a task I have done before, but given the restrictions by resample.exe and the FS2004 Terrain SDK (which Photo Scenery Maker uses to create its files), it's just not possible.