Sign in to follow this  
Guest RotorRick

Anyone making a new version of Kai Tak VHHX ?

I know there are several versions out there (freeware and payware)...but to be honest none of the freeware ones are usable on my computer. The two big ones...no matter how I tried to optimize them, just brought my considerable computer to a crawl. I've got a Pentium 2.2mhz with a 256meg Radeon 9800pro, 786megs ram, full install. I run other fairly detailed scenery just fine...but both versions of Kai Tak that are out there just give me 8 to even less than 2 fps. I dunno why.As a result, I've reverted to using just a VERY simple version just for the landing lights, added the HongKong Autogen Version2 addon, and stole the ILS info from the more detailed scenery. It may not be super-pretty, but I get great framerates even with the 300 buildings...So I have to ask: is anyone working on a new freeware version of kai tak for FS2004?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Rick,I do not have any of those scenery packages, but as a guess, I would say that there is probably a texture problem. That is, too many textures and perhaps too large, as well.It is easy to remedy this by converting the textures to DXT format - please see this thread for instructions:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchIf there are many large textures (512 x 512, or worse, 1024 x 1024 pixels), then you may want to reduce them in size before converting to DXT format. I always reduce texture size to a maximum of 256 x 256 pixels, but you should decide how much resolution quality you are willing to sacrifice.Best regards.Luis

Hmm...yea, maybe I'll try that, both reducing texture size and also converting to DXT-3's...but I still suspect there's something else going on...