Sign in to follow this  
Bill Womack

Point-n-click Airport Design??

Guest kickin_chicken

Is there a program that allows me to add, say, a new airport to my scenery in a point-n-click fashion? Kind of like EZ-Scenery Builder, but with the ability to add airports or runways?? Thanks!Derald

It's still a two-step process, I believe. You can use AFCAD to create an airport and add the surface features, such as runways, taxiways, etc. Then use EZ-Scenery Builder to populate the field with buildings and other objects. It's a pretty simple process, even if it does take two programs.

I agree with Bill here. Using AFCAD is the easiest way to alter things like runways and polygons. But there is no tool like EZ-Scenery that allows you to place such elements really interactive from within FS.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

If only I could get some support for it! I can't seem to use libraries I create with their EZ Library Manager, and the email support request I sent in yesterday is so far not answered. Too bad they don't have a forum... I really don't get developers who don't think that's necessary.

Guest sbdwag

ArnoThanks for your CAT and EZ-Scenery. My CAT Animated Hanger collection works great in EZ-SceneryRegardsDennis Waggoner

Hi Dennis,>Thanks for your CAT and EZ-Scenery. My CAT Animated Hanger>collection works great in EZ-SceneryJust to prevent confusing, EZ-Scenery is not my tool :D. The only part I contributed to is the EZ-Library Manager.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Hi Bill,I have not tried EZ-Scenery with a very wide range of libraries yet, but it worked fine with some of the custom libraries I made for my projects. Do your libraries simply not appear in the list of available libraries or is there something else wrong with the objects?

Arno

Hi Arno,I created my library (actually, libraries -- I've tried several of them), and the library creation process went fine. Nice work on your part! However, when I try to open one of them to place objects using EZ Scenery, I get the error that the library is in an unrecognized format, and that I must use libaries created for use with EZ Scenery. Of course, this is exactly what I did. Also, I've got another library of objects that I was given by my publisher to use in a project, and they give me the same problem. I think I'm going to try a reinstall this morning and see if something just got messed up somehow. Although I'm not having any trouble with the built-in libraries (the ab_ ones).thanks,

Hi Bill,That sounds weird. I still need to install the final version, but then I'll try one of my libraries again and let you know.

Arno

I think I have it sorted, Arno. I did a lot of experimentation a couple of nights ago, and what I discovered is that EZ Scenery is picky about the BGLs it will use. The bottom line seems to be if you generate a library file in which the paths to the MDL files contain spaces -- like if they're in your "my documents" directory, the BGL file won't show up in EZ Scenery as usable. It's curious, because the file size of the generated library BGL files seems to be the same, indicating that it did indeed compile properly, and no errors were thrown during compilation.Now that I've moved my development directory to the root of my C drive, and made sure there are no folders with spaces in their names in the path, the BGLs I compile show up and are very workable with EZ Scenery. I've had some display issues with some models, especially those containing linked nodes or FS2002-style lighting, but I've been able to work around them. This is turning out to be a very useful tool!Another thing I've noticed is that EZ Scenery doesn't detect any BGL files that aren't in the FS9 Addon Scenery directory. I tried compiling my library to an active scenery directory that was a sub-folder of Addon Scenery, and it didn't show up in EZS. After I moved the same libary to my Addon Scenery/scenery folder, it worked fine. Can you confirm that this is an issue for you, too?thanks,

Hi Bill,I did a quick test with a library containing a few objects located on my desktop (that path has spaces in it as well), but they worked just fine. As long as the file size is the same, I would not expect any difference as well.My normal development tree already was in a path without spaces in the name, so I don't know if I can draw any conclusions from this :).EZ-Scenery recognises my libraries fine, even though they are outside of the Addon scenery folder. But they are active in the scenery library of FS, so I guess that is what makes them being recognised.

Arno

Thanks for testing this for me, Arno. I'm completely stumped as to why it would be different on my system, but since I've made it work in at least a rudimentary way, I'm happy enough for now. Curiously, it's been a few days now, and still not a word from Abacus themselves on this, and that's after three separate emails to their support department. :( thanks,