Sign in to follow this  
edgarone

Bridges in FS9

Guest dakotafan

Hi, Is it possible to use the bridges in FS9 as replacements for those currently in place. I would like to use a program to move ( exclude and then replace the current bridges). If so, what tools would you recommend for this and could you direct me to a tutorial the most effective way to do it? Thanks in advance for the assistance. Dave

Guest Bell206freak

I just finished a tutorial on that subject (it basically covers the same approach to editing and recompiling default BGLs). It's pretty extensive, yet user-friendly in that it's written so that users can understand what's necessary in terms of scenery design programs, and it also requires some familiarity with the XML-based command language in the default scenery object BGL files.This is an approach to scenery design I used in the Sanderson Field overhaul I am working on, and is preferred if you want to completely get rid of any default building without having to work with exclude switches.Now that I have some free time, I'll upload it to AVSIM here in the next day or so. Earlier attempts at uploading this tutorial have been clouded by other obligations and an extremely busy work schedule.

Guest dakotafan

Great!! I will keep an eye open for it. Thanks again.

Hi Dave,Most bridges in Fs2004 are not placed as XML style object (that is only true for custom bridges like the Golden Gate bridge).All other bridges are created using VTP lines. So you should be able to exclude and redraw them any tool that can create VTP lines. For example Ground2k4 or SBuilder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest dakotafan

Hi Arno, I have been reading some of your past correspondence at scenery.organd am beginning to get the ropes (I think). I have done some work with scenery in the past but this is new to me. I am going to see what I can do with it. If I have questions, could you help out (limited amount)? Thanks again, Dave

Guest Bell206freak

I think that the VTP line-type bridges only apply to those that use the default road texture over water. IIRC, all other bridges, (such as the 3D objects) are placed by using XML. From my experience, the latter is the case. For instance, the Lake Washington Floating Bridge, the State Route 520 floating bridge and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington State are placed in the Seattle.BGL scenery file, who's source code is XML. I know that in SBuilder, it's impossible to attach a 3D library object to a VTP line. In addition, the decompiled BR9namw0.BGL file in the NAMW/Scenery directory does not contain any 3D objects, nor any objects attached to the VTP lines. According to a tutorial I have, the scenery files starting with "BR" are the VTP bridges.I could be wrong, however. The tutorial I created primarily deals with modifying the default files, such as ob9namw1.BGL, etc, which contains all the other airport 3D and other area 3D scenery objects.

Hello,as Arno wrote, there a 2 types of bridges:Some bridges are defined as 3D library objects and placed with xml code in files like the Seattle.BGL. This is only done for a selected number of bridges, where information and a model exists.The majority of bridges in the world is defined as a vtp-line with a special bridge texture, not the default road texture. They are, like you said, in the br*.bgl files.They can be easily hidden with a vtp exclude, and recreated as a vtp-line at the correct location (Ground2k and SBuilder).Unfortunately the same vtp line randomly selects a bridge model from several models available. So you might end up with the wrong model in the correct location.As for attaching 3D objects to a vtp-line, in my opinion this is not possible in the moment. It would be great if you could define roads with trees instead of telephone poles or lamp posts, without modifying general configuration files.I think, the 3D-xml-bridges (Golden Gate, Tacoma Narrows) can be excluded like other 3D objects with scasm exludes or something like that. So it might be not necessary to change and edit default MS scenery files, even if its possible.So the question remains, how to create 3d-xml bridges (or other objects) at the correct location.When I remember correctly, the new version of AutoAsm should be able to create bridges as well, but I don't know if these are vtp line or 3D-xml bridges.Regards,Edgar